Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whitesnake

Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds' possible fix?

I realise that. All sorted now. Thanks. Now I can get onto to slaughtering martians or humans!

Sorry for repeating the same question.

Hallo.

Im really amazed to se the interest for this game. Nice.

But I cant find any fix foor my bug.

I can start jeff wayne's war of the worlds, but from the beginning i get a request saying "please insert human CD".

I can then choose "return to main menu" From here I can only start playing if I choose "continue campaigne", and then only for a short while until I start invading:(.

Ive downloaded the WOW.exe and replaced the installed file. Ive chosen win 95/98/ME. I dont know what to do. Hope someone has an answer. I noticed in the first thread in here, that you can get a "NO CD CRACK", were can i get this.

I you have it, i would be glad to recieve it on this e-mail: smoker22us@hotmail.com

Thanks

I would also like that patch/fix mentioned on the first page that kept the ingame music working.

Please send the file(s) to reaperswe@hotmail.com

Hi, I realize this is probably starting to look a little repeditive :P and I dunno if anyone is actually going to read this.... But Im also trying to get the music working in xp, downloaded the only no-cd crack I could find and tried the compatability thing, no luck.

If someone could post a link to the enlarged crack/patch that makes the music work, or else send me the file please?

alistair_stronach@hotmail.com

Thanks alot - love this game smile

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting such an old topic but I've been playing War of the Worlds again for kicks and I haven't been able to get the game to work without the CD. I'm running the game on Vista with compatibility mode set to Win98. I tried some of the things suggested in the previous posts but none of them seem to work. So if someone could help me out on this one it'd be great.

ALe¤n

Hello anyone, Leon if you actually see this lol, Ive just spent a couple of hours trying to get this game to work (I seem to do this periodically :P) and found a little thing:

If you make and mount an iso of the game, you can use regedit to change the CD path for the game to the path of the virtual drive where you've mounted the iso. And there you go, works fine and no CD laugh

But what i wanted to (probably fruitlessly :P) ask is, anyone know how to fix the damn music? Has anyone found out how to make it work in XP?? Its really not the same without it..

Could anyone answer a question for me? (No, its not about the sound...) I have figured out how to modify the Martian Enhancements via RegEdit. Is there a way to edit the base unit stats? Either globally ("all Martian/Human") or selectively (a single unit)?

Thanks in advance

There is a problem with the sound driver in XP but someone in another forum advise how to fix it

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<extract as follows>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now, what is causing the problem is a compatibility issue with winmm.dll, a Windows multimedia API that likes to interfere with certain old games, I also know it causes problem for Metal Fatigue, Re-Volt (if you patch it) and most likely others. The solution for this is here:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/

Click the link that says "_inmm.dll Ver. 2.38" and download it, open the zip file and run the installer, let it create the desktop shortcut.

I know it's a scary program, but feel free to virus scan it, what it basically does is patch exes to redirect calls to winmm.dll to itself so it can play the CD audio the proper way old games expect to. Now to get it to work, hit the Windows key and R at the same time to open the run dialog, copy paste and run this:

%programfiles%\_inmm\_inmmcnf.ini

Edit the file so the top of it looks like in the attachement then save the file, now run the desktop shortcut and select the "Patch" tab, use the find function to find the War of the Worlds entry, select it and click Patch.

You will be asked to locate WOW.exe, default location is: %programfiles%\Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds'

After you locate it the program will ask you to confirm, do so, don't worry it creates a backup. Now if you have more than two CD drives you need to go to the method tab and choose the correct drive next to CD-DA after MCI. Final step is going to the _inmm.ini tab. There you need to click "CD Tracks", select your correct CD drive after "Audio-track number from" and click Get and then click Ok. Click save and save the resulting _inmm.ini file in your War of the Worlds folder (again, by default: %programfiles%\Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds').

Start the game and music should now work (proper track changes and everything), some notes:

1: I did not bother detailing what you need to do to get past security if you're not authorized to write %programfiles%, figure it out yourself.

2: This program also allows you to get rid of the CDs and play CD audio from MP3s, I haven't bothered figuring out how myself.

3: If you get problems with sound effects hold down the Windows and R key at the same time again and write "dxdiag" then click run, select the sound tab and move the slider that has the "Full acceleration" text over it all the way to the left. On Vista you do not need to do this.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<end>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the top of the inmmcnf.ini file is now

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<INI file top>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

; _inmmcnf.ini 2006/04/02Ӂ

[Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds]

Group=Rage

file=WOW.exe

[Ž´]

Group=Leaf

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<end>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

this works for me - I hope it helps someone else

PS if you know the author of the above text please add his name to this thread