Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nvivison

Windows 2000/Windows 98 dual boot - Not working

I have an installation of windows 2000 on my primary hard disk (NTFS) which i am very happy with but I needed to install windows 98 for some old games which just refused to work with it. I installed win98 to a second hard disk (FAT32) but I cannot get it to boot from the boot menu. If I choose Windows 98 it just hangs for a couple of seconds and reboots. Windows 2000 works fine.

Is it possible to get it to work and how, or should I just give up and donate the old games to a charity shop?

I do not want to go through the hassle of reinstalling windows 2000 so that is out.

Win 9X has to be installed on the primary partition on the primary hard drive. NT, 2000, and XP can be on any drive. What you will need to do is wipe all drives, install 98 on the C drive and then install 2000. Donot do an upgrade but an install to another partition. This will do what you want.

Windows 98 does not need to be on c:, however its boot files do need to be on c: (msdos.sys, io.sys, command.com, config.sys, autoexec,bat)

only was with your onfig, partition magic your c back to fat32, or install win98 onto another hard drive but only after you switched the boot device in the bios. This method will require you go into bios every time to boot each other os.

If you have two hard drives....if Windows 2000 is on your primary master and is NTFS formatted that is fine, you can put 98 on your primary slave drive and it will work. Go into BIOS, temporarily disable the primary master then open up your PC, and unplug the hard disk and plug the disk you want for 98 in and set it up as primary master. Install 98 on that disk, then go back into your PC, reconnect the 2000 disk, make it primary master, make the 98 disk the slave. To boot into Windows 98 you will need to fiddle with the BIOS to boot from that hard disk. When in 2000 you will be able to see the 98 disk, but 98 won't see the 2000 disk, since its NTFS.

Most modern BIOS have a boot menu which will let you select the boot drive. WIth my board, I just have to press F8 while it's POSTing and after the POST is complete, I can choose any device to boot from.