Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
radx

Weird dns problem, Please help

This is probably the weirdest internet-problem i've ever had.

To explain my problem the easiest way i've prepared some screenshots for you. Please view them. They will display how i try to NSLOOKUP <internet server> and fail. It works only sometimes.

Not working - microsoft.com ->

ms_funkar_inte_heller.gif

Not working - videoide.se ->

feldns.gif

pathping - results ->

pathping.gif

My ip settings in the gateway ->

gw_dns.gif

What you can make of this is that Everytime the dns lookup fails, it returns instead of the actual IP address the nameservers responsible for the domain name. It's as if i would be recognized by the nameservers as another nameserver or something.

As you can see from above i get different replies from the same nameserver when i attempt to resolve the same domain several times in a row. This makes my internet somewhat unreliable. I have been able to confirm from my work that the different nameservers i've tried works indeed and that the problem must be somewhere else.

I have also tried to type in a nameserver directly in the query:

nslookup <domain to lookup> <nameserver to attempt to resolve with>

But it ends up in the same problem, no dice.

My internet at home works actually quite well. The speed is normal, i can download huge files without any interuptions and when i ping multipble times the nameservers i get zero packetloss or anything else that indicates error in transmision.

Online gaming works as well. IF the dns lookup is successful that is otherwise the game has no clue as to where to connect since the server ip address cannot be resolved.

My lan is setup like this

PC -> 3com switch

-> dlink 624 802.11g switch

-> adsm modem

-> Internet provider

I have a theory that the problem is within my Dlink router (DI-624+)

That it would either

1, Cause extreme packetloss as soon as it "detects" Nameserver lookups. Whichever port that is transmited on.

2, Some kind of mean filter is in the works

3, hardware failure or something

OR

maybe it could be my internet service provider that has some serious stability issues as soon as it detects a name serer request.

To be honest, nothing of the above really feels like that is the "Error".

Every computer on the LAN is running Windows XP with all the latest service packs etc.. (windowsupdate says (0) files to download).

No local software firewall is installed on the computers.

I hope someone has some idea what could be causing all this.

My sincere thanks to whoever that may be able to help me with this issue.

Kenneth Qvarfordt

It is possible that your ISP's DNS servers are forwarding requests Intermittently, giving you different results

Try switching DNS server around to see if the secondary still gives you issues.

I did try different nameservers but it didn't help either.

I'm really clueless here..

I guess the only thing left to do is call the ISP and ask for help.

I guess you're using DHCP to get a IP on your network from your DLink router, try setting a static local network IP to your card instead and set the DNS servers manually too.