Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Was I too harsh on Ontrack (data recovery) ????

^^^^

i was using the built in tools

Computer Management smile (control panel / admin tools / computer management)

that is was screwed up.

If all it did was assign wrong drive letters & it wouldn't boot, surely you could still read the drive? Couldn't you have just put it in another system [as a secondary drive] to read the data off?

nope

trust me i spent 2 days trying everything else. laugh

it seemed to do more then just not assign it a drive letter - it was just after i hit ok to assign it a drive letter that the error came up

windows has encounter an error blah blah blah

then i reboot the comp - as far as that system is conerned - the drive is not formated - okay, first thing i did was try to assign it a drive letter - said nope, no can do, not formated.

took it out and tried it in 3 other systems - and all said the drive was not formated smile

Was it formatted NTFS? I've found on several occasions that the old FDISK /MBR command [from booting from an old 98se boot floppy] has got me out of some rather sticky situations, but I don't know if it would be any use with NTFS being used, as I don't use NTFS.

yup

was ntfs - i tried several DOS NTFS programs and none of them would read the drive. -

i tried various demo's of programs that work in dos - even one that emualtes windows to read any drive and no go!

so i finally got that program above and BA< got all my stuff - recently formated the drive and it works fine

so thank you MS!!