Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRocket

Windows XP and search......

when i do the search from the start menu, it doesnt search the whole drive even tho i have it set to. It wont search thru certain folders(like the windows folder)to find sumthing im looking for. If i know for certain that its in the windows folder i will put in C:\Windows instead of just C:\ and it will find the file. Any ideas why it wont search the windows folder? It used to work right but somehow it doesnt now. Any help will do thanks

The search function, by default, ignores system files/folders and thus hidden files and folders. You need to click on the Advanced Search button, should be on the left hand pane to tick the box to allow you to search these as well.

Addendum here:

Click on Search to open the window up, I like to maximize it so I can view all the options.

Click on the All Files and Folders search type. Now look for the More Advanced Options and on that line is a double carret button, click on this to have the options drop down. Now look for the check box to tick as well as other options to choose from laugh

Hmm, I just did a fresh XP Pro install and it worked for me wink

Did you recently install any kind of app ?!? Something you may have done just before this started occuring ?!?