Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aliem

Counter Strike 1.6, Steam, and a dll file.

Maybe I'm just missing a dll file... but on the website for steam it says nothing about compatability with NT.

Anyway... there's a new release of Counter Strike, and it's using a new thing called steam. It replaces the old WONid system, meaning, as soon as steam ends its beta versions, WON will close.

Okay, so I downloaded steam, which included Counter Strike, so it was like 350mb. After installing, I try to start up, and it informs me of a missing dll file. "Kernel.dll" or "Kernel32.dll" I forget because i closed and uninstalled in an angry hissy fit. frown

Would it be safe to throw in a kernel32.dll in the system files... would that fix it or make it worse...

The half life engine was made for opengl... so its not a directx problem or anything.

-EDIT-

After looking for a second... kernel32.dll is in my system32 folder... and is in use... and its 370kb if that says anything...

maybe i should download counter strike again?

The procedure entry point GetLongPathNameA could not be located in the dynamic

link library KERNEL32.DLL

That's the exact message... I want to replace the kernel32.dll file so bad... but i don't wanna screw over this hard drive.

Kernell32.dll is not your problem. Replacing it won't help. GetLongPathNameA is a call to the dll to produce the name of the folder that the game is looking for. This function is found in VB and unix environments and was introduced in Windows98 to deal with long path names. You don't say what your operating system is NT, 2K or XP. NT has had a problem like this with other games. The game supplier needs to provide the fix.