Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

Resolving Everything: VeriSign Adds Wildcards

....from Slashdot

Posted by timothy on Monday September 15, @09:23PM

from the gotcha dept.

DragonHawk writes "As of a little while ago (it is around 7:45 PM US Eastern on Mon 15 Sep 2003 as I write this), VeriSign added a wildcard A record to the .COM and .NET TLD DNS zones. The IP address returned is 64.94.110.11, which reverses to sitefinder.verisign.com. What that means in plain English is that most mis-typed domain names that would formerly have resulted in a helpful error message now results in a VeriSign advertising opportunity. For example, if my domain name was 'somecompany.com,' and somebody typed 'soemcompany.com' by mistake, they would get VeriSign's advertising." Read on below for some more information.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09...d=98&tid=99

I have already emailed my ISP and asked them to investigate the IP address quoted in this article with a view to blackbanning it.

Imagine even more pop-up ads every time you mis-type a URL. In addition, this is being reported as affecting some anti-SPAM engines in mail systems. Overall, they are now claiming everything that people aren't paying for. I think it sucks.