Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RandyC

XP Crashes on Reboot

After installing 30 patches through windowsupdate (over 40 megs) on one of my laptops I have now found that the machine crashes when I try and reboot it. It shuts down fine its just when I want to restart xp does it crash.

Is there a log that I can set up so I can find what XP is trying to close when it crashes?

Many thanks ...

P.S. The laptop is the sam spec as the one below except that I havn't got a dual boot on this one.

You did try and boot into safe mode didn't you ?!?

That is to say, there are some other boot options if you press the F8 key at the beginning of the boot process, right after the post screen. You should get a menu option screen and one of them is Safe Mode, another is the Last Known Good selection. This may help as well as it reverts back to the Last Known Good bootup settings.

It starts up fine ... i'm just concerned that it doesn't shutdown properly (and just hangs instead of reboots). However the laptop shutsdown fine its only on shutdown am I having the problem.

I will try and shutdown it in safe mode but I still won't know what is causing the problem...

Check for the Blaster worm. I had to patch about 1500 PCs at work and it causes all kinds of havok on systems. Also make sure you have the most recent dat files. Just because you installed all the patches does not mean that you cannot catch it. The patch only closes the exploit not protect you from the worm.

You can also try running a CHKDSK /F on the boot/system partition. Just to see if there are any filesystem issues.