Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
djelite

INTEL ACTIVE MONITOR & WIN2K3

I tried to install the INTEL ACTIVE MONITOR v1.19 on my Windows 2003 Server computer [intel Desktop Board (D815EFV-D815EPFV)] and kept getting this error message:

"The Intel SM Bus drive could not be installed. This is a required driver. The installation will now abort."

It worked fine in XP.

Any insight would be geatly appeciated.

Quote:
Contact intel for a verison that supports windows 2003.

Done.

Waiting for a reply.

Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Contact intel for a verison that supports windows 2003.

Done.

Waiting for a reply.

Thanks.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

Unfortunately, Microsoft* Windows* Server 2003 is not supported on the Intel® Desktop Boards. The reason why you are experiencing problems with the SMBus driver installing the Intel® Active Monitor, as well as the Intel® Application Accelerator on your Intel® Desktop Board D815E(P)FV is because the operating system support of this Intel® Motherboard is restricted up to Windows* XP. Unfortunately, none of the Intel® Desktop Boards is designed to support any server-based operating systems, either.

and guess what, intel is not the only one with that policy. we have swithched back to win2000server for now (mostly because we didn't know how to use few feature on that os, not that it had any problems with drivers and the apps we were running. Only id10t user problems, untill we learn) laugh

Here's how to install Intel Active Monitor on Windows Server 2003.

Double-click the file downloaded from Intel.

It extracts to the user temp directory.

Locate the directory (named something like pft64~tmp with current timestamp) and make a copy of it.

Exit installer (the installer will delete the extracted files).

Open that copied directory and navigate to the SMBUS directory.

Run the setup which will downgrade the SMBUS driver.

When that completes, navigate up one level and re-run the setup.

The installer seems to not like the newer version of the driver when running in W2K3 Server.

FYI:

I tried the above fix of installing Active Monitor 1.2, copying, cancelling, installing SBUS, etc and ended up with an instant blue screen. Not very fun, fortunatley this was on a test pc and not production.

The system specs:

Windows Server 20003

Intel D845

Intel P4 1.6

Adaptec SCSI Controller

2x 18gb Seagate Hard Drives

Intel Pro 100

If you have any questions regarding the exact specs or config please email. But this was not a smooth install so be fowarned. Im sure it works great with some hardware configs. Not mine.