Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

GOT GAS?

I live in Phoenix, AZ and in case any of you have been on the moon in the last month or two we have had a gas crisis, or so they (the state gov.) say. Since then we have been paying sick amounts of money to fill our tanks. I am just curious what you pay for gas...

Currently the avg. price per gallon here in PHX is about $2.15 and was as high as $4.00 in some places.

$4 a gallon? I wish! 8)

You ought to try living in the UK, then you'd see what high petrol prices are really like!!

At the moment, we pay about 80 pence per litre, which is around £3.60 per gallon, which is something like $5.75 at the current exchange rate.

Every time I fill my car up, it costs £60 (almost $100) ;(

I wouldn't mind, but something like 75% of the cost of petrol here is tax...

Rgds

AndyF

so we have 1 US galon = 0.83270 imperial gallon = 3.78544 lt

Given that, I pay 0.71 euros per litre over here in Greece, which would equate to 2.68 euros (1.84 GBP and 2.02 US dollars, using yesterday's exchange rates) per US gallon.

[The equivalent for an imperial gallon of gas would be 3.2 euros (or 2.2 GBP and 2.4 US dollars)]

So, $2.15 isn't bad from what i see, but what would be a 'fair' price to pay for a gallon?

AndyFair, I sympathise.....I've lived in the UK for 5 years and the taxes on alcohol, smokes, petrol, to mention a few, is unbelievably high... and by the way, what car is that that needs 60 quid to fill up? Mine has a 45lt tank and it takes roughly 31 GBP to fill up)

well it could be worse though, actually it is, if you lived over here the basic salary you would get would only be 528 euros per month (363 GBP or 396 US dollars)... so things over here have to be cheap, or else.....

Here in Hawaii average is about $2.40, but I shop on Post aka Military base, and get it for closer to $2.00

Hawaii is just about to pass a gas price capping law. Not sure what will happen.

Problem with Gas prices here in the states is the US is so friggen big. We drive long distances. Most of our states are bigger then Countries in Europe

I drove 8 Hours just to get out of Texas once. And that was a shortcut.

Probably a good idea to start considering Hydrogen, or Electric Cars. Oil isn't going to get any cheaper. And with OPEC controlled by Arabs, that don't like the West too much, don't expect production to go up to lessen demand and prices.

Gotta have money for terrorism I guess (cheap shot)

In and around PDX it's around the $1.90 mark. Super of course is always about $0.20 higher then regular ;(

Currently in Quebec, it's around 82 cents per litre (3.10$CAN per US gallon) x

I'm damn tired of this bulls**t

I bought for $1.54 last night in KY. It got up above 1.70 but thats' as much as I have paid. I get about 30 mpg so I suppose I pay less overall then most people. It still pisses me off when I end up paying $16 for gas.

it's about 80cents/L in northern Alberta. strange considering that the main supply of oil in Canada is up here... and as for hugeness the nearest decent sized city is a 5 hour drive away, the next one is another 3 hours. all in the same province. (province = state) I feel sorry for the people who live further north, they get to drive lots just to get to the store... of course they could always use the good old dogsled. wink

Well it's not that expensive here in San Antonio. Just 3 miles away from here it's a $1.41 a gallon for regular. It's been going down steadly sense Labor Day. Really we should be in favor of coal gasification. The good thing is that filling up the gas tank only cost about $13 or so dollars.

my friend runs 100% bio diesel made from vegtible oil in his car.

it is clean burning renewable and cheap.

mixes at any ratio with petro diesel.

no modification to engine required.

the kick ass thing about biodiesel is you can make it yourself out of a number of different things even used friolator oil or turkey carcass

there is alot of info on the web about it you guys should learn some about it. I am going to buy a diesel truck soon and run it.

you can buy biodiesel for offroad use completely tax free and use it in your on road vehicle. (not legal but real real cheap) the only diff between offroad and on road diesel is wether or not it has been taxed so you are not going to get caught doing it.

You mean like in Back to the Future laugh

That would be nice to be able to stuff garbage down Mr. Fusion Reactor and have nothing but H2O as the output 8)

Yes, well I think the cost of them are just a bit too steep for most of us to pay for, that is until the oil is almost depleted then all of a sudden the Oil Cartel's will let us know about this new wonderful and cheap energy alternative :x

Geez!!! Now i don't feel so bad. Gas used to be $1.39 about 3 months ago. No one expects it to go back down in price.

Ah, but only if you put Mr. Fusion into a Delorean, it's that damn stainless steel that creates the time bubble laugh

Quote:
Geez!!! Now i don't feel so bad. Gas used to be $1.39 about 3 months ago. No one expects it to go back down in price.

And just several years ago we complained when it got over $1

$1 a gallon - wow, petrol hasn't been that cheap in the UK since I was a kid - and we're talking <COUGH> years ago!!

I read somewhere that the UK now has something like the third highest cost of living in the world - behind only Switzerland and Japan...my weekly grocery shop for me and my wife costs £80 ($125), my car probably costs £150 ($200+) to keep filled with petrol for the month, and to buy a 2 bed apartment will set you back somewhere in the region of £175k in the SE of the country ($275k+ 8) ). It's getting too expensive to live in the UK! frown

As for fuel cells, looks like we're getting there - car companies seem to be getting out from under the oil companies and designnig decent alternative (or dual) fuel cars - I don't mind, as long as they don't all look like the SMART car - nice concept, shame about the looks!

Back to the Future used to be one of my favourite films, but the one thing that annoyed me was when Christopher Lloyd uttered the words "one point twenty-one jiga watts" - kind of ruined it for me, cos a scientist would never say "one point twenty one", and would know how to pronounce giga...but I'm a scientist, and kind of anal like that laugh

AndyF

Quote:
Back to the Future used to be one of my favourite films, but the one thing that annoyed me was when Christopher Lloyd uttered the words "one point twenty-one jiga watts" - kind of ruined it for me, cos a scientist would never say "one point twenty one", and would know how to pronounce giga...but I'm a scientist, and kind of anal like that laugh AndyF

Yeah, I always assumed that was done purposely though...to show his eccentricity though. Those numbers aren't too far from what I am used to here in the states. I cant really say about the housing though, I am only renting. In the area where I live you can rent a nice place for about $400 a month although in NYC I know its well into the thousands. Gas does seem high (I assume you are talking about a car and not a SUV) in the UK though.

I know I have completely the wrong attitude about this but its hard for me to get upset about the prices of food and gas. I just think of it as I have to get it anyway, so why bitch about the prices? You can't live without food. There is little to no public transportation in my city and things are so spread out that it just isn't practical to use it so I need a car and gas. It's a good thing that everyone else doesn't feel that way about bitching about prices or we'd be in a whole lot worse shape now.

Quote:
I know I have completely the wrong attitude about this but its hard for me to get upset about the prices of food and gas. I just think of it as I have to get it anyway, so why ***** about the prices? You can't live without food. There is little to no public transportation in my city and things are so spread out that it just isn't practical to use it so I need a car and gas. It's a good thing that everyone else doesn't feel that way about ***** about prices or we'd be in a whole lot worse shape now.

I know how you feel - the greens keep saying we should ditch our cars and use public transport instead - but they've obviously never tried using buses and trains to get anywhere...especially when it usually takes longer to get somewhere by bus or train than it does by car - where's the benefit in that?

My other little pet hate is parents on the school run. I drive to work (and yes, I have to - I often have to visit client sites during the day, so I need my car), and what really kills me is the traffic caused by people driving their kids to school...what ever happened to walking to school? It was good enough for me when I was at school (oh, no! I've just realised that I'm starting to sound like my parents! 8) ) . The kids have just started back to school here after the summer hols, the difference in traffic is astounding - 10 minute drive in the summer, 30 minutes now the kids are back ;(

I'll get off my soapbox now laugh

AndyF