Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SliderSchr

WinXP CPU Use Percentage When nothing Running

Howdy All,

I am new to the forum and an over glorified button pusher, just dangerous enough to get into trouble. But, I have built a new machine and I have a question for the group. It is a top of the line machine, but when I was running it yesterday, it was running slow and I went into the task manager to see what was going on and found that the CPU was running at 73%. I had no open programs (Applications), And looking at the Processes tab, There were a few items that were going back and forth with usage. I have a Hyper Threaded Chipset, so I don't know if that is something to look at, but even when I am looking at the desktop I seem to get a slowdown when I click on the start menu. I will list my system at the end of this message.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

I am using the onboard sound, LAN etc. The only card I have in the system is my FX. Has anyone seen a slowdown with the Abit mobo?

I have BF1942 installed and even at stock settings (800x600x32) it is running slow, that shouldn't be the case.

And finally if anyone has a list of the processes that should be running on this machine I would appreciate it.

SliderSchr

System:

MOBO - Abit IC7-G Max II

VIDEO - Gainward 5900 Ultra 1600 XP

CPU - P4 3.0C

CASE - Antec PLUS1080AMG w/ Antec 430W True Power

CDRW/DVD(+/-)R/RW - Pioneer DVR-106BK (On IDE Channel 1 as Master because this was the only place it would work)

CDRW - Plextor 52x32x52 PlexWriter Premium E-IDE (IDE Channel 2 Master)

HDD - Western Digital 120GB SATA WD1200JD (On the Add on SATA Channel)

MEMORY - CORSAIR XMS TWINX1024-4000PT

HSF - Zalman CNPS7000A-CU

OS - WinXP Pro

Jerry,

I am not sure what processes were running at the time, I will turn it on tonight and post back to the forum. For some reason I thought it was the SPOOLSV.exe or the SVCHOST.exe, but those are guesses.

SliderSchr

Quote:
Jerry,

I am not sure what processes were running at the time, I will turn it on tonight and post back to the forum. For some reason I thought it was the SPOOLSV.exe or the SVCHOST.exe, but those are guesses.

SliderSchr

That wouldn't suprise me if SVCHOST.exe is the culprit. I have had instances on my laptop where I have had to manually kill the process. I am interested to see whether there is a solution to this proble.

Also, there was a version of PC-illian that I had an issue with where POP3Trap.exe was showing full processor usage. I know it is commonly bundled with motherboards...Not sure if it applies to you or not.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/sapiens74/

At the bottom I took a screenshot Of my running Services

You shouldnt have Snagit, or ATI drivers running on yours, so everything else would be normal

Make sure if yOU have any Symantec product, Like Norton AV not set to autoprotect.

Also Kazaa is a real dog.

I disable most services like Server and Netbios stuff if you don't use them.

Also use MSCONFIG to see if you have anything starting up .

I would suggest with that killer rig, to invest in an Audigy1 or 2, cause onboard sound tends to use more CPU time

Make sure you have latest INtel Chipset SOftware Installed including the Application ACCEL.

Hope that helps

Check if you have the latest bios, latest drivers, latest intel inf...

Try creating a new user and log in as the new user only.

Still the same.

Was it like that from the fresh install of windows?

It happened to me a time ago, and it was the indexing service...., hm, I don't remember the exact name of the process, but try disabling the Indexing service.

Regarding the indexing service, I agree. This has been a problem for me as well, easily corrected by disabling it.

Thanks Everyone for the info.

I have a few screen shots of the performance from last night (Don't know how to post them to the message or if I can.) The "System" is running between 49 and 56% when All other things are idol. I ran NAV last night (with the latest virus defs) and it didn't come up with anything, but I don't know if any trojans would appear. I have a Linksys Router connected with cable Modem access, so I don't think I could have gotten tagged, but one never knows, any suggestions to figure out what else might be using this?

To answer some of the other questions,

I will have to create a new user and try that.

Yes, this was a brand new machine built from scratch with a clean install of XP Pro (Formatting a 120GB drive takes #*&$% forever).

The only thing that was going on was the System use (Nothing as a telltale sign.)

I have the latest BIOS, and thought that I had the latest Intel INF, but will go looking for that as well.

How do you fix the indexing service?

If someone can instruct me on how to post images or if you want to give me an E-mail I would be very happy to send you copies of the pics.

SliderSchr

wow there is sunthin wrong with that. "system" should be nothin.

try looking at the device manager and see if there is sunthin foul.

sounds like a hardware issue. but there is more info needed.

if nothing is wrong in the device manager i myself would reload xp and check each step until the problem shows itself.

Quote:
Thanks Everyone for the info.

bla, bla, bla...

How do you fix the indexing service?

SliderSchr

To DISABLE the Indexing service: right click on My computer, then manage, then in the left panel click on "services and applications", then Indexing service>>system>directories....thre remove those folders, including your root drive.