Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ihor

Can I Connect 2 Routers to One DSL Modem?

My daughter is off to university and in a house with 5 other girls. I purchased a 4 port wireless router for their use. My daughter has the wireless card but one of the other girls has a router which she wants to use on the upper floors of the house. The wireless router is obviously one port short because no one else wants to purchase a wireless connection. Can I connect one router to another without issues? If not what is the best solution? Thanks in advance!

Yes.......... routers are just "smarter switches"......... just please make sure the wireless part is secure ( disable SSID , use WEP or WPA , MAC filtering etc..... ) Just remember that college campus is ripe with idiots trying to "exploit" something.

Quote:
Yes.......... routers are just "smarter switches"......... just please make sure the wireless part is secure ( disable SSID , use WEP or WPA , MAC filtering etc..... ) Just remember that college campus is ripe with idiots trying to "exploit" something.

I agree use every possible security lockdown you can on wireless.

Also update the firmware for the routers.

Also in addition to MAC filtering if you are using DHCP limit the number of leases to actual number of installed computers, so no one can pick up a free ride on thier network

Quote:
My daughter is off to university and in a house with 5 other girls. I purchased a 4 port wireless router for their use. My daughter has the wireless card but one of the other girls has a router which she wants to use on the upper floors of the house. The wireless router is obviously one port short because no one else wants to purchase a wireless connection. Can I connect one router to another without issues? If not what is the best solution? Thanks in advance!

If your going to have them on a wireless connection, you could get another AP(Access Point) and have the one system that's not hooked up on 4 port wireless router. I'm fairly sure you could place another 4 port router unless the one other system wants to stay wired, then get a 4 port switch. Follow the others advice. If tou do get a Linksys 4 port router you might have to upgrade the firmware.