Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leed

Windows 2003 Server on ECS K7S5A

I have a problem with installing Windows 2003 Server on computer based on ECS K7S5A. Is this mainboard supports Win2003? Thanks

when I run installation of Win2003 from boot CD, setup copys some drivers and then stops on screen Setup is starting Windows...

If I connect HDD with installed Win2003 to mainboard and switch on computer. Windows in safety mode stops with error on \windows\apppatch\drvmain.sdb

If you are running a clean install, the problem with W2K,WinXP, and Win2003 will generally be drivers for cards, video, audio, NIC's, etc. If your audio or network connections are on the board itself, it could be these that have the problem in that they are not compatible.

The file you refer to (drvmain.sdb) is a database that contains compatibility problems with certain devices in Win2003. In setup, Win2003 tries to circumvent these problems with some substitutions. It is not always correct. Somewhere on your CD should be a collection of .sdb files that contain incompatibility problems. Viewing these might give you a clue.

In this PC are only MB, processor, RAM, videocard, HDD and CD-ROM. I`ve tried change videocard and RAM but nothing happened. I looked for *.sdb on install CD I found something but these files are not text and on CD-ROM there is nothing about incompability problems with AMD or VIA K7 chipset...

The K7S5A is a SIS735-based mobo, not a VIA...

i got one of those, works like a charm on Win2k3 server(RC1,2, and final)...

mine's a rev 3.1..

sure, i wouldn't use a SIS or VIA on my server either smile

...but it did work on my "lab"-PC.. with that ECS board... i used it for a couple of months with the RC1 i got from MS... no problems...

I've solved the problem. It wasn't problem in board. There was incompatibility: Windows2003 with ECS K7S5A+AMD Duron procesor. Now with Athlon XP processor everything is OK. Thank you... smile