Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
el_vago32

Hibernation??

Hello guys. I was wondering if there's a risk about using this feature (running XP pro, just in case) very consecutive. I mean, I almost don't use to turn off my pc, it's better for me to put it in hibernation 'cause it'll load up faster, but someone told me that it could damage my HD, is this true??, and , is there any other risk about using it frequently??

On my laptop I use hibernation lots (xp pro) because it does load faster/saves that load time on the battries. but on a desktop machine I don't see the point, unless it's a really slow machine... reboots are nessesary even on xp. in the long run more reboots will save ya time by keeping yer memory less cluttered. wink

Well. my Pc isn't that slow, but the point is that I really like how fast it loads, and besides I don't have to load up the app's I had loaded, u know....., also, sometimes I"s working at a document or something else, the I have to go to job or University and then, when I get back to home, continue with the stuff..., that's the point.

as far as hibernation itself is concerned, it won't hurt yer drive. I've had it fail once, but then you just get windows to boot normally, it gives some error messages, but it's ok afterwards. I seem to recall something about a patch from microsoft about that. but no, it can't physically damage the drive.

Hibernation rocks! I used it all the time, but now I figured it's better if I don't trun my computer off at all laugh

It won't damage your harddrive anymore then normal usage would.

Anyway it should work ok if you don't change the hardware. I did try that and it gave me some errors, but I think that was fixed by SP1, but I still wouldn't recomend it.

After a hibernation the PC boots normally (from BIOS), but then it loads a big hibernation file (hiberfile.sys) instead of loading the OS. You can crank out the power cord if you want when the machine is hibernated. Think about it like loading an image of your system state, which is written to disk as you power down. It's beyond me how someone could claim that that would hurt your HD. The only drawback is that it wastes quite a lot of HD space.

Actually suspending the machine (sleep mode) is even handier, a weak current is keeping the data in RAM, and the machine comes back up really fast.

Microsft explains it in this Knowledge Base article.

If you want more info, do a little ggogleing around Hibernation, Power Save, ACPI, power state or similar.

H.

The more memory that you have the longer it will take to resume from hibernation. If thats not an issue, then great. Microsoft has a free tool called bootvis.exe (I think) that will show you what to do to speed up your regular booting if you aer interested.

Thanx guys. I must admit that when I heard about the HD stuff, I got a little confused, but still thought it couldn't be possible...., anyway I'm more than clear now.