Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FrankE

Notebook CPUs exchangeable ?

I'm playing with the idea of buying a NB.

I just want to make sure that I can upgrade the CPU later on.

I've seen a few Presario models (AMD) which have standards sockets, so I guess they're upgradable.

The only notebok/laptop that advertises that it is upgradable is AlienWare. Most of the other ones are not. Even if they use regular sockets you have to be sure that the bios can handle the new CPU.

They are upgradable

You have to buy the version of the chip that you are running though.

Pentium IV has the Desktop version, Mobile Version, and Centrino Versions, and Celeron Versions in laptops

You can upgrade, but most of the laptops I've seen use mobile cpus and sometimes the're hard to get here. Also check I the laptop supports the cpu.

Quote:
You can upgrade, but most of the laptops I've seen use mobile cpus and sometimes the're hard to get here. Also check I the laptop supports the cpu.

You shouldn't have much trouble finding mobile AMDs online. I know newegg has them but they only delive in the US. I would say go for a Pentium-M or Centrino but I don't know how easy it is to update them. For a notebook that should last you a while plus they run cooler and use elss power so the battery life would increase.

Newegg does have new Pentium-M and Centrino processors, but get ready to shell out a lot for an upgrade processor.

Quote:
Quote:

You shouldn't have much trouble finding mobile AMDs online. I know newegg has them but they only delive in the US. I would say go for a Pentium-M or Centrino but I don't know how easy it is to update them. For a notebook that should last you a while plus they run cooler and use elss power so the battery life would increase.

Laptops are a bit hard to upgrade. You have to take special care with taking them apart.

Unless you are a technician it's best not to do it.

I have worked on several brands of notebooks, and it's easy to break a keyboard, or cable if you aren't careful