Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobbinbrisco

Printscreen Problems

I was playing a movie in WMP and paused it (not maximised) and took a screen shot using the 'printscreen' button, but when i pasted it into paintshop, i see my whole desktop but the image in WMP was just black??

do i need some special software to get an image from a video file?

thanks

You can't print screen a movie mate! You have to use a video editing tool, such as Adobe Premiere or Ulead MediaStudio, OR VirtualDub (which is free :))

Get it from http://www.virtualdub.org/, unzip it to a folder and run it. Open the video file and find the frame you want. Click File, then Save as Video Still or Save as Frame (I do not remember exactly) and there you have it!!!

thanks mate. i've already have virtualdub (excellent tool).

how can i open movie files using virtualdub. there is an error asking me for the xvid codec. although i am able to watch those movies using WMP and divx player??

Actually there is a simple trick that will enable you to use printscreen on a movie. You need to open 2 media player windows. Easiest way is:

Start -> Run -> 'mplayer2.exe'

Load up a video clip into it.

Start up the media player that you use (if you use WMP 6.4 then you can use the options to allow you to open more than one instance of the player instead).

Load the video clip you want to grab from into it.

Press PrintScreen

Because of the way overlays work, if you take a screenshot, the first player you load will appear with no image in, but the other will actually grab correctly.