Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

Bypassing CRC when copying

I have several CD-Rs of backed up mp3s. I recently went to combine those cds to DVD-R. When I try to copy from my cd to my hard disk, I get a message saying that it failed the CRC. The problem files are read fine in winamp so wherever the error is, it must not be anything major.

Anyone know how to bypass the CRC?

Does the CRC error come up when the file copying is almost over? Or right from the beginning or at random points? I am asking because the same has happened to me, BUT i was using 80min cdrs, overburned to 82mins.... so you see that the mp3 was there on the list, but some of them were not actually written properly on the disc -- i do recollect that nero had said that everything was recorded ok.

Quote:
Maybe the files are set to read only

I am not sure what you are getting at here... hey are read-only because they are on a CD. Thats not going to cause a CRC error.

Quote:
Does the CRC error come up when the file copying is almost over? Or right from the beginning or at random points? I am asking because the same has happened to me, BUT i was using 80min cdrs, overburned to 82mins.... so you see that the mp3 was there on the list, but some of them were not actually written properly on the disc -- i do recollect that nero had said that everything was recorded ok.

I believe it happens at the end of the copy process (which would make sense considering how CRC works). I can see the mp3 and play it in winamp just fine. I just cannot copy it to my hard disk.

Well.. since you have no problem playing those mp3s, you could use DiskWriter plugin in Winamp to create .wav files on your hard disk and then conver them to mp3, ogg or any other useful to you format.

Try using Isobuster (http://www.isobuster.com/).

Quote:
IsoBuster lets you explore a CD's File System while by-passing Windows This way you get better Error handling and several retry-mechanisms to aid you in getting the data anyway (or at least partially).

Hope that helps smile

make an iso image, or a bin/cue, or an nrg image and then extract the images using isobuster

or try something to rip the mp3s to your HD

have your tried in another cdrom drive?

bypass CRC? Why on earth would you ever want to do so? That's like not using ECC ram because non-ECC is slightly faster. If you like errors then use an overclocked AMD.. or just an AMD

it sounds like either the CDR itself is damaged or your reader doesn't like the CD. Are you using a standard CD reader or are you using the SAME CDwriter used to author the CD?

There are a few utilities that "bypass" the default failed read timeout and slow down the read device to incrementally read off the files. Offhand I cannot recall the names but a google search for something like "read damaged CDs" might help.

Quote:
bypass CRC? Why on earth would you ever want to do so? That's like not using ECC ram because non-ECC is slightly faster. If you like errors then use an overclocked AMD.. or just an AMD

it sounds like either the CDR itself is damaged or your reader doesn't like the CD. Are you using a standard CD reader or are you using the SAME CDwriter used to author the CD?

There are a few utilities that "bypass" the default failed read timeout and slow down the read device to incrementally read off the files. Offhand I cannot recall the names but a google search for something like "read damaged CDs" might help.

I realize I have a problem with the cdr; thats why I want to bypas the CRC. Like I said, the file reads fine in winamp so whatever the error is, it's not major enough to mess up the file. I want the file on my hard drive and I don't care if a bit or two are wrong. And yes, I am using the same drive I used to create it.

I had a similar problem with some of my Mp3 CDs, I used a CD scratch remover and buffed the disk and it copied fine after that. I think that diskwriter or some of the other methods mentioned above will work also.