Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PTS

Be careful with the latest two security updates

I noticed a patch for IE and one for DAC, so I downloaded them and rebooted. I noticed that nothing that usually loads at startup actually did so. Not even my Antivirus. Strange indeed! So I tried to load at least one of them post boot and I get some wierd error message about the file not being there, but it was.

I did not do a system backup prior to this because I thought sure Microsoft had all of these screwups rectified. Little did I know I would get RECTALfied afterwards. Luckily Windows Update did a backup for me. So after a restore everything is back to normal. I do not know which of these two patches did this and I don't care. They will not be going back on my computer until someone can tell me what the hell is going on.

Be careful guys..

D.

UPDATE!

I just installed the IE6 patch again, but this time I did that one by itself. Once again after reboot my stuff was not loading. I was paying a bit more attention to the error messages that were poping up this time before going straight to panic stage and it said that I did not have some sort of permission to do what I was tring to do. I even got that error with System Restore before another reboot. This makes no sense.

Two possibilites that I can think of: your NTFS permissions on one or more files or directories are not correctly set, and/or your registry permissions for one or more registry keys are not correctly set. Offering a diagnosis or solution to these problems I find more difficult, because I don't want to tell you the wrong thing.

Good luck with it,

Francis