Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tsonta101

[b]Cannot (!) delete files[/b]

Here's is the situation: I brought the removable hard disk from work, and copied over some mp3s to a folder I call 'Unsorted MP3s'. When I actually found the time to move the mp3s to other folders, I got a nice little message saying 'Cannot move xxxxxxxx: Access is denied. Make sure you have access to the folder and that the disk is not write protected' .

So I did the obvious, checked that the folder was not 'read only', scanned for viruses, and i STILL cannot move (copy works fine) a single file from that folder OR the folder itself. Any suggestions what is happening and how can I beat the crap out of this Windows imperfection?

thanks in advance,

tsonta101

Yes, this is on a NTFS partition and I (my account) have read/write permissions.

I did restart several times but i still get the 'Cannot move xxxxxxxx: Access is denied. Make sure you have access to the folder and that the disk is not write protected' message.

Could it be something else?

Everything is sorted now!

and here's how.... double clicking any of the 'unmovable' mp3s would bring up winamp, but it would start playback, so I thought what on earth? I went to see the permissions tab, it wasn't there (had to uncheck simple file sharing in control panel/folder options). Finally I saw that no user/group had access to the 'unmovable' files, so I added my account, checked on full control and voila! everything works as it should now....

one happy audiofile here!!!

Using NTFS is probably not a good idea on a removable drive, since you probably won't have the same users on all the systems you will use the drive in.

tsonta101,

I have been having lots of problems with moving files and the geeting the access denied messages which ended up meaning I lost that particular file. I eventually had to copy every file then just go back and delete the original. With your suggestion, everything works as it should. Thanks a ton! Nobody else I've found could solve this problem.

Thanks!!!!