Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keitaro

Nero 6 / "Drive in use..." error

Because there's a possibility that someone will run into something like this, I figure I'd post my findings here.

The error occurs in Nero 6 (up to 6.0.0.11) where after finalizing your compilation and thus be set to burn, you'd get an error stating "Drive is in use by another application." This error would make burning CDs an impossible task. This error occurs only on Windows XP systems. Whether or not it affects Pro or Home or both is beyond my knowledge.

At first it seem obvious. Another program is using the drive. However, no other programs that I have running would be using it either. Nothing in Startup would require use of the drive. Nothing in the Registry's 'Run' folder requires it.

The problem is then isolated to Windows XP's IMAPI service, which is used for managing CD imaging (ie. burning). Setting it to Manual was not enough, which I had set before. Setting it to Disable got rid of this problem. After that, it was smooth sailing with Nero 6.

I've fired off a report on this minor problem over to Ahead to get them to solve this problem, with a couple of suggestions mentioned in the email. Unfortunately, the morons there are too *beep*-ing dense to bother reading the damn email. (They told me to do exactly what I have already done which I have already stated in the email as a solution to the problem.) So until Ahead bothers to actually add the error message to their FAQ, this post shall exists. And hopefully will serve as a helpful tip to a seemingly simple problem.

cant say i have this issue with my verison of 6 ultra and all my XP / 2003 systems i use to burn.

i know as soon asu pop in a blankcd windows reads it first, wait a few secs - nero then pics it up.

I had this problem once, it was because of nvidia's sw-ide drivers. If you have them, change back to the windows standard ide drivers.

Quote:
cant say i have this issue with my verison of 6 ultra and all my XP / 2003 systems i use to burn.

i know as soon asu pop in a blankcd windows reads it first, wait a few secs - nero then pics it up.

While it's true Windows reads the disc first, I don't think that was the case. The problem occured even after having the disc in well before Windows bothers to read or say anything about it (if its Autorun feature was set to detect blank CDs). So it didn't occur to me that the problem would be that part alone. It seem strange that Nero would conflict against the IMAPI service since it was running for some reason, even though the Autorun was not set to bug me about blank CDs in the first place.

I'm not sure as to what aspect of the system I have created the conflict. The problem is minor, with a working work-around, and still a possibility. But I cannot figure out for the life of me why Nero 6 would complain about it now when 5.5 never said anything before. It continues to remain a mystery to me.

Quote:
I had this problem once, it was because of nvidia's sw-ide drivers. If you have them, change back to the windows standard ide drivers.

I doubt this is limited to nVIDIA's IDE problem. Or rather, I doubt it's confined to IDE.

I have a hybrid setup: IDE & SCSI. My CD-R, DVD-ROM, and CD-ROM drives are all hooked up to a SCSI controller which gave me no problems when burning. For the past several years, I've ran this bad boy w/o any faults. And since using Nero for a long while, I also never had any problems with it.

You do have a small point with the nVIDIA SW-IDE driver. And by coincidence, I have an nForce2 motherboard. But it becomes moot when I have my CD-R hooked via SCSI. (Also, let us leave the nVIDIA portion out of the equation as it is heavily discussed on a different forum.)

Good call Keitaro,

Like you, I stop and set the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service to Manual and I still received the "Drive is in use by another application" error. When I disabled this service, the error went away and I Successfully burned a DVD. I love Microsoft products but I guess we can add this one to the list of blunders that accompany most Microsoft products.

Thanks for your findings.

Lahrus

Originally posted by keitaro:

Quote:
Because there's a possibility that someone will run into something like this, I figure I'd post my findings here.

The error occurs in Nero 6 (up to 6.0.0.11) where after finalizing your compilation and thus be set to burn, you'd get an error stating "Drive is in use by another application." This error would make burning CDs an impossible task. This error occurs only on Windows XP systems. Whether or not it affects Pro or Home or both is beyond my knowledge.

At first it seem obvious. Another program is using the drive. However, no other programs that I have running would be using it either. Nothing in Startup would require use of the drive. Nothing in the Registry's 'Run' folder requires it.

The problem is then isolated to Windows XP's IMAPI service, which is used for managing CD imaging (ie. burning). Setting it to Manual was not enough, which I had set before. Setting it to Disable got rid of this problem. After that, it was smooth sailing with Nero 6.

I've fired off a report on this minor problem over to Ahead to get them to solve this problem, with a couple of suggestions mentioned in the email. Unfortunately, the morons there are too *beep*-ing dense to bother reading the damn email. (They told me to do exactly what I have already done which I have already stated in the email as a solution to the problem.) So until Ahead bothers to actually add the error message to their FAQ, this post shall exists. And hopefully will serve as a helpful tip to a seemingly simple problem.

Good call Keitaro,

Like you, I stop and set the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service to Manual and I still received the "Drive is in use by another application" error. When I disabled this service, the error went away and I Successfully burned a DVD. I love Microsoft products but I guess we can add this one to the list of blunders that accompany most Microsoft products.

Thanks for your findings.

Lahrus

Thank you VERY MUCH Lahrus

I sought during days a solution without never finding answer. I fell on this message: that saved me the life! Thank you infinitely

PS : I'm french sorry for my possible faults

Thanks very much for your tip. I had the same error with Nero 6 Ultra Edition when an external hdu via firewire was connected. After disconnecting i could use nero again. Disabeling the IMAPI service got rid of this annoying behaviour. Thanks!!