Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GHz

Internet Stops Working in XP Pro

Hi,

Ever since I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, I have been having problems with internet access. When I'm actively using the computer during the day, it works fine. However, when I leave my computer on overnight (with power settings to always on; NIC is set to never power off) and try to access the internet the next morning, my internet access is gone. I can't even ping my gateway. If I try to uninstall/reinstall my NIC or tamper with the settings in any way, it locks up (The NIC property window stops responding and cannot be closed). Of course, if I restart the system, it works fine.

Now this sounds to me like a driver problem, but I have installed the latest NIC drivers (directly from Broadcom's site) and it has not cured the problem. More confusing is the fact that this problem does not occur with Windows 2000. Sadly, this reminds me of the days of Win9x, where you could not run your system over 24 hours without a restart. I really hope this is not the case, otherwise I'll be forced to go back to 2000. Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do to get this fixed?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Broadcom is not the NIC manufacturer, but the NIC chipset manufacturer. Try getting updated drivers from the card manufacturer's web site.

If that does not apply, and I am wrong, here's another idea: Look for a firmware update to the NIC. I had a Netgear FA-311 several months ago that had the EEPROM set to a Netgear FA-312. That was a known-issue on a series of those NICs, perhaps you've run into a similar problem.

Anyway, do you have another NIC you can swap out to troubleshoot? Even a $20 'cheap' NIC will do fine for troubleshooting purposes.

Also, all updates from Windows Update? Latest BIOS, firmware for router (if one is being used), latest DirectX, etc.?

My motherboard is an ASUS P4G8X with integrated gigE, Broadcom is the chipset manufacturer. This problem occured before I updated the drivers from Broadcom's site, so I'm not sure what else to do. I would download drivers off ASUS's site, but apparently their site is ALWAYS busy, so it will not let me. Same goes for BIOS updates and chipset drivers, while everything else is up-to-date.

I'm all out of NICs, but I suppose I could go buy a cheap-o one to figure if this an isolated problem. If it is possible to update the firmware on the NIC, I am clueless as to how to do it. How should I proceed, and do you have any idea where I can get newer ASUS drivers? Thanks for your help.

Actually, after a bit of surfing on Asus's site, it seems that same Broadcom chipset is available on several of their P4 boards... And only under the newer boards, such as yours, does the 'Server busy' message pop up when you try to download the drivers.

Anyway, here is the correct URL to download the drivers, but it's a slow link at 9KB/S.

Broadcom 4401 Fast Ethernet Controller Driver RELEASE 6.5.3

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/broadcom/4401/4401_653.zip

By the way, I have the Asus P4B533-E, nice stable board. Anyway, Let me know if that helps at all, or maybe that's the current driver you have anyway?

Thanks for the help guys. I think the BIOS update may have corrected the problem.