Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matthews1976

Lesson learned

Hello all

Just wanna say really fast that this is a great site

Here's my thing. In Febuary of this year just before my beloved dell dimension XPST500 bit the farm I decided to build a new system. Easy enough since i work for a company that sells computer parts. anyways to get started I selected a Biostar m7vit mainboard that contains a via kt400 chipset ,and an Amd Athlon Xp 2000+ processor, and 512 megs of DDR ram Pc2100. TO enclose all this goodness I bought a generic mini tower case. I also bought a three year parts warrenty that covers anything except physical damage. well anyway after adding a 60 gig maaxtor hard disk from the old dell I was ready to go. I got it home and it wouldnt boot . next day took it back to the company where i had built it and had to replace the case. turned out to be a bum power supply. after that I took it home and began to use the new comp when the old dell just decided to exit. I thought fair enough since the new comp was in use. After two months of use I started to hear a grinding noise emenating from the top of my case. after taking it back to the shop the tech replaced the power supply fan. after that I was using my comp when I realized that It was running to hot at least I thought it was. I was getting stop errors when I was trying to clean install windows 2000 or XP. and so you guessed it I took it back to the shop. and at the shop the tech pulled the heat sink off of the proccessor and had to clean it and apply new grease. During Inital assembly I had put to much on it was covering the processor. Doh. But he put it back together and reinstalled windows Xp pro for me and also applied all the updates and service packs. Thank god for the warranty. After that my comp has been running like a champ/ before that last service stop I upgradeded the 60 gig maxtor drive to an 80 gig seagate hard drive. I gave the 60 gig maxtor drive to my parents for their dell. it replaced a 15 gig maxtor that died shortly after the new drive was installed.

well anyways enough of my long winded story .

Here is my system specs

Amd athlon Xp 2000+ 1.70 gig

Biostar m7vit mainboard

512 megs ddr pc2100 ram

Soundblaster audigy 2 platinum sound card

128 meg geforce fx 5200 8X agp graphics card

realtec 8139 nic connected to Dlink cable modem

80 gig seagate hard disk

Lite on 16x dvd rom drive

sony 48 speed cd recorder

Generic floppy drive

Generic mini tower case

Just wanted to post hope you all enjoy

Thanks

Matt

I'm an OEM System builder... have built 1000's of machines.

I find that AMD based systems all seem to run way too hot. I mean 50degrees+ is too much for a stock cooled/stock clocked/stock volted system. I run my p4 2.4HT at 3.0 without voltage increase or cooling mods (stock cooler no thermal grease) and it's between 30 and 40 degrees depending on how much load I put on it (never above 40, even maxed out)

Ja get what Ja pay for :P

I don't think the stock AMD coolers are as good as the stock Intel coolers. Having said that, you can buy a decent socket A cooler for $20 or so and get better cooling. With Intel, the stock cooling is quite remarkable, and unless you want to do something like go to refrigeration, your safe.

As an OEM system builder I must say that AMD has addressed some of these cooling concerns. Some, perhaps all, are getting a new copper core heatsink/fan combo now. Just put together 3 machines with the XP 2400 in each, and they all had the same cooler. Seems to be running about 10C less, according the the onboard hardware monitoring.

I do agree that I think 50C would be above normal, but I've seen P4's run around here as well. I guess it depends on the time of day or something wink

I've seen that too, a lot of it depends on the case, a well ventolated case makes a big difference. another thing amd has done with their coolers is make it use all 3 clips on the socket, making it more reliable (I've seen a few heatsinks break off in shipping). If they keep on this trend, they'll be giving intel another run for their money.