Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Firewall causing 404's on 70% of my favorites

Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum;

I have been using the same firewall for a very long time without issue. It's an old Dell box running IPCOP (a Smoothwall clone, I guess). For those familiar, it's a RED/GREEN setup, where RED = WAN card & GREEN = LAN card. There is no DMZ, etc. I have never fiddled with any of it's settings, nor felt the need to. Anyway, due to various circumstances, I switched from my long time cable ISP to dsl. Following my new ISP's guidelines for pc's behind a firewall, I registered the MAC addess of the WAN ethernet card on their website. At first it seemed all was well. Online gaming = fine. Download speeds are good too. However, I started noticing that a lot of my Favorites were constantly "down". I could click randomly through a list of hundreds of Favorites; few would work, but many would not, way too many.

I started thinking maybe I had a virus. I formatted/reinstalled Windows 2000, but the same thing was happening. Thinking my backed up Favorites.htm file had become corrupt, I manually typed in url's, but still no go. Mandrake 9 = same problem.

However, if I connect my pc directly to the dsl modem, the problem disappears! Also, I don't think it has anything to do with my new ISP, since I do recall this strangeness started sometime during my last month or two with my cable ISP. Looking at the settings of my firewall, everything seems to be as it should, since there are basically no options "ticked", etc, nor have there ever been.

This is really become a pain in the arse for me, since I have to physically unplug cables & release/renew my ip everytime I want to go to a specific website, like this one for example.

What could have happened?[/url]

Quote:
Try setting your DNS manually to your ISP's to see what happens
You, my friend, are the bomb. Thank you ever so much!

Quote:
Quote:

Anything for my lifelong idol Ron Jeremy laugh

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anything for my lifelong idol Ron Jeremy laugh

I hope Ron will now bless us with a reading of his latest poem laugh

Ron Jeremy does poetry?! 8)

Do they all start with lines like "There was a young girl from Nantucket"...? laugh

AndyF