Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

access2000

Was wondering if anyone is an access2000 developer here. I try to do a simple project for a user. I can get the Web Access Page working for data entry and making query is no problem. What I run into is that I don't know how to make a user interactive query, what I mean by that is instead of having say job="123-4567" explicitly I want it to open a prompt waiting for a user to enter a desire job# when a query button is push. Can it be done in access2000?

In the graphical query layout view, go to the column you want to filter info on and use [] to generate the prompt. For example, if I had a product table and wanted it to prompt for something, I would make a query for tblProduct, and under prodCompany I would put [Please enter company name] in the criteria section, using the brackets. That will make a prompt window come up with "Please enter company name" and a blank to put in the info. In SQL view it would look like this:

Code:
SELECT *FROM tblProductWHERE (((tblProduct.prodCompany)=[Please enter company name]));

If I wanted it to match partial names, I would use:

Code:
SELECT *FROM tblProductWHERE (((tblProduct.prodCompany) LIKE "*" & [Please enter company name] & "*"));

The * wildcard will then let partials like "so", "on", and "ny" match "Sony" in the prodCompany column.

Lastly, if you want to add support for wildcards AND the ability to click "OK" with a blank field and have it return ALL records (no filter) then use this:

Code:
SELECT *FROM tblProductWHERE ((([tblProduct].[prodCompany]) Like "*" & [Please enter company name] & "*") And (([Please enter company name]) Is Not Null)) Or ((([Please enter company name]) Is Null));

This will let it handle blank entries and combines that with support for wildcards.

HTH

Thanks Clutch for the tip. I was using access 2002 which I thought was 2000 (my bad). I just put the [] in the criteria in the query screen and it did give me popup. thanks. Now my second part is that I have created a Data Access Page from Access2002. Data entry is working but I can't see any where on how to make the query I have created to work within HTML form (access generated). I can make a command button but the choices for the button is not what I needed. I wanted to created an html version of access so that each user do not need a copy of access to do entry into the database. Access can generated that form for me, but it's no good if you can't retrieve it.

Hi Clutch,

since you've reply I like to ask you one last question. In access I have created a database with a selected querry. Everything works fine. I created a data access page in access2002 with all the entry info. I am stump as to how to make my querry work in the data access page? Anyone with some expertise in access2002 please jump in. I'm doing this for a user and I only have 3 weeks of access experience! I will keep looking in the net for supplemental. thanks!