Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rossco

2000 with DHCP servers. Im confused

Hi everyone,

Until now Ive been happy using my computers in a peer to peer network. But now there are more of them (5 infact) and more people use them. Along with these computers theres is a broadband wireless router. Two of the computers are wireless laptops you see.

What I would like to do is create a domain. One of the computers can function as a domain controller, authenticating user logons etc and also function as a fileserver, hosting user files so that they can be accessed from any computer on the network. Nothin too demanding you see?

Well so I thought. Firstly I created a Windows 2000 local domain, but none of the client computers could "see" it. Eventually I thought it was something to do with DHCP servers. That clever wireless router box that I mentioned before also functions as a DHCP server, as does the newly created Domain Controller. I disabled the DHCP on the router and now the local domain works fine (lots of setting up to do, but logons are all being authnticated by the server). But now the internet doesnt work! It seems that disabling the routers DHCP stops the clients from accessing the broadband connection.

How can I make the router work with the Windows DHCP and not its own?

PLEASE HELP!

Rossco

Are you using Cable or DSL?

Does your wireless router also have wired ports?

ICS is one way to go, put a second nic in your "server"

If your wireless router is just wireless and not also wired you may want to just go purchase a wired router.

If you are using DSL some DSL modems like Cisco and ActionTek have built in DHCP.

Statically setting your IPs is another way to go to get internet and LAN connection.

in the DHCP snap in on your DHCP server you can configure such things as default gateway and dns servers. In there, specifiy to hand out the DNS server info, and the default gateway and you will be good to go. the default gateway needs to be the IP of your DSL router, adn the DNS should match your ISP DNS servers. Then you will be good to go.

the DSL router will nat/route for you just fine whether or not it handed out the IP addresses or not.

Duhmez,

thanks for your help. i think i understand that. so...i use the DHCP console thingie on the Windows 2000 server. The default gateway should be set as the ip address of the router (..something like 192.168.1.1 ?) and DNS should be set to match the DNS of the ISP....now...how do I find that out?

Thanks again...

By the way, if it helps this crazy router box thing is from linksys. It is an ADSL Modem, Wireless Access Point/Router, with four port 10/100 switch

(and i live in the UK)

Rossco

Give your ISP a phone call and they can tell you the dns server addresses. Another way is go into the router confiuration, it may list the current dns servers it snagged from your ISP.

If you set the DNS server option in your DHCP to the DNS server of your ISP you might run into problems with USER authing to the DC. I would recommend that you DELETE the . domain from the DNS records and then use the forwarders option in the DNS properties. You simply set the DNS servers of your ISP as the forwarders and still have the DNS option of YOUR DHCP set to the Domain Controller. When your DNS server doesnt know google.com it will look at those forwarders for the answer.

you can find the dns servers from your isp without calling them by logging into the switch/nat and looking at the options that it has recieved from the DHCP of the isp.