Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Hating Windows XP, HELP!!!

I am setting up a Windows 2000 Server on a mixed network. OSes include Windows 98, SE, ME and Windows XP Pro.

The server has a Public Static IP and the rest of the machines get private (192.168.0.x series) DHCP from a DSL router. Here is my problem...

None of the XP machines will communicate with the 2000 Server. All the other machines that are NOT XP see the server just fine. WTF!!! I tried installing NetBEUI, and NetBIOS on the server and XP workstations, still no dice. WTF am I doing wrong, this is driving me crazy!!! :x

Is this XP machine able to see other shares on the network ?!?

I would create a dummy folder on a one of the 9x boxes and share it then create an empty file inside of this share. See if this shows up on the network for all the machines including the server.

Now then, can I assume that all the machines are getting a DHCP address via the xDSL router then? Also all the machines are able to view the net via browsers, send/receive email etc. ?!?

Also make sure that the XP machine is getting an IP from the same subnet and that the subnets are the same for each machine, usually they are 255.255.255.0. Anything else and this will cause some issues.

One other thing to check, this has caused me some grief when it's installed. XP likes to install a QoS driver under the NIC properties. I either uncheck this or uninstall it altogether. This may or may not be an issue for you however.

You shouldn't have to use NetBIOS/NetBEuI either, TCP/IP should be the only protocol you need to have installed and bound to the NIC.

Oh, one other thing to check on the XP box, does the motherboard have a firewire port?!? If so then guess what, you get those network drivers installed as well and yes they can cause some issues too. Make sure the ethernet adapter is the first in line or ahead of the firewire or simply disable the firewire network.

Yes, the XP machines can see other machines and print servers. They also get internet just fine. The DSL router gives them a 192.168.0.x series and a 255.255.255.248 Subnet.

How do the machines see the server on TCP/IP if the server is on a public address and the workstations are on private, and different subnets.

Only way I can think of is the "Alternate IP Configuration" is that right. Otherwise you must use some other proto.

Yeap, that's right, hit me with a brick DOH!!!

Anyways, do you have two NIC's in the server ?!?

Cause the best thing to do is to have the server actually grab a DHCP address from the xDSL router as well. Unless you need/want to put it into a DMZ or some other special config.

The two NIC's would allow you to bypass the xDSL router and provide ICS via Win 2K Server, but really I don't see a need for having the server outside of the local LAN do you ?!? This way you have the xDSL router, which I presume is providing a firewall as well, some protection to all the machines including the server.

Here's my current home LAN config:

RCA Cable Modem -> Linksys BEFSR41 xDSL/Cable Gateway, this includes a firewall/dhcp/nat server -> Aopen SOHO 8 port switch -> all local machines, this includes a combo Workstation/Server box, and about 5~7 gaming rigs and some general purpose boxes.

Since the Linksys provides all the public or WAN side to local translations, all I have to do is to provide some port forwarding for some game server hosting. This box has a built-in web interface for local access and can be user/pass protected or not. Very easy to configure as well wink

Yes I need the server to be public and static it is doing VPN, FTP, HTTP and a few other classified services. I am going to see if I can get the DSL router to give 192.168.0.x series with the subnet 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.255.248 that it is currently giving out. And then just give the server NIC a secondary private IP in the same series and subnet.

your problem is the subnet mask. they must all match. Unless they match it wil be a no go.

255.255.255.0 you want for all internal addressing.

and the first 3 octets must match too, EG 192.168.0.x

we have the very same sounding system

subnet 255.0

i have found that the xp boxes netbios has to be at default for it to work on our system.

we also have an nt4 server in the mix

Another thought is XP is on the NT Kernal. Make sure you've created an account for both your XP box AND your XP user on your NT or 2000 server. An authenticated box and user should solve your issue.

I have identical accounts on the NT Server and the XP machines. I have now all the machines on the same IP series and subnet, except the server. I still cannot connect to the server with the XP machines, the 98 and ME machines connect to it fine!

I have uninstalled the QOS and disabled firewire, still no connection. This is now driving me nucking futs!!!

I know that you have to use that server in a public IP range for outside access et. al. but to make sure this is an issue with the address and/or subs try putting it behind the xDSL router and have it pull an IP address via DHCP. If this resolves the problem with the XP box then you know it has something to do with the addressing and not anything else. You may have to do some sort of static routes on the XP box, perhaps via the hosts file. I'm thinking you could put that static IP in there and see if this helps to view the server when it's on the public IP address.

The most sensible solution would be to have the Server use an IP address in the range 192.168.0.x like the rest of them and then set up port forwarding on the router to map whichever ports the server is hosting services on (eg. 80 for HTTP, 21 for FTP) through to the server's IP. This is assuming the router lets you do this (it really should).

Quote:
How do i do that?

Try what Xiven suggested first and let us know what happens.

As for editing the hosts file, do a search for it, most likely under the system32\drivers\etc folder. You can use notepad or any other text editor to view and edit this file. Here's the default info in the hosts file.

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost