FSUMetalhead

Micro$oft Sidewinder 3D Pro for WinXP

You can try this:

http://www.driverforum.com/controller4/1620.html

I also found this on DriverGuide:

Sidewinder 3d pro in win2k

---------------------------------

1) Download the win98 driver

2) Run the win98 driver until it informs you the driver isnt compatible with the current version of windows

3) Alt-Tab out of the driver installation and find where it unzipped the temp files to (a good idea is to open the temp folder first and see the new folder which appears)

4) Copy the new temp files to a new folder

5) Complete the anstallation procedure (ie. it will exit because of wrong version)

6) Install the joystick in the game controllers panel by clicking "Add Other" and click "Have Disk". Point it to the directory where you copied the installation files to. I think I used the one called "sidewinder autodetect" or something along those lines.

7) Finished. If you find its not detecting it, simply refresh it a shitload of times (sometimes i click refresh and then properties while its trying to detect the joystick, and then hold down 'r' until it stops beeping at me), but it will work.

Quote:
Thanks a LOT, but do you know where I can get the Win 98 driver? I'm really getting pissed off at Microsoft. ;(
Well, go and use another OS if you think it'll be any better for you!

Microsoft have annouced that ALL Sidewider peripherals are being phased out. It's a shame as the h/w is excellent though the s/w is clearly lacking any r&d effort 0 been that way for many years. Never understand Microsoft's position on the Sidewinder range :x

The old MS Sidewinder 3D Pro (gameport version) as well as the MS Sidewinder Gamepad (also gameport version) works fine on my WinXP System (I have the Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 and use its gameport). I just use the "MS Sidewinder Autodetect" option in the Game Controller app of the Control Panel and don't even download any drivers. Heck in my experience it works fine in WinXP and Win2k but I couldn't get it to work in Win98 nor WinME (for the Win9x OS's I resort to using the CH Flightstick Pro driver).

Yeah, I've seen that all sidwinder products, being MS, work with their respective autodetect features, specially in XP

And this post should be in the Hardware (XP) section