Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mikeRGB

1 Win 2000 Pro & 2 Win 98SE PC on my LAN?

Hello everyone

I getting ready to upgrade PC#1 to Win 2000 Pro this weekend. I want to use the same internet connection I am now shareing with 2 Win 98SE PCs. We share an internet connection but not Files & printers.

We are using a LinkSys Router with DSL. All 3 Pcs have LinkSys NIC cards.

Do you see any problems, I may run into, & work arounds for the problems?

I bought an OEM copy of Win 2000 Pro without a manual, so I am winging it as far as the install. Any help you can steer me to will be much appreciated.

I built #1 in Jan 03 ASUS A7V333, 1gig PC 2700 RAM, XP 2200 CPU. OS came with SP3 CD but I was thinking of just installing the new SP4 unless I need to install SP3 first.

Thanks, Mike

Nope see no problems at all. I am assuming that your router is setup for DHCP. Also I would install the SP4 version of 2000. Even better, if you have or can make a slipstreamed version then it will work even better. 2000 install is rather straight forward so you should not have any problems with it. Do remember that you will have to have 2000 drivers for your video card, printer, sound card, ect. Good luck.

Hi Silver-Dagger

Could you explain (make a slipstreamed version please? Also I can just set boot from CD in BIOS & use the 2000 CD in boot? Or just install CD & it will format & set up 2 20gig NTFS Partitions in my WD 40 gig drive.

I would like to keep OS & programs on C: & Graphics + Web examples on D: I know it's no faster that way, it's just the way I have learned to work with 98.

Yes Router is set for DHCP & I have all CDs & diskettes ready for hardware. I have been checking for Hard/Software compatibility. Looks like I'm in luck with everything. Great site you have here, I got the tip from SitePoint glad I found you all smile .

Thanks for all your great help, Mike

Here's an article on Slipstreaming the service packs into Windows XP, however you can just substitute Windows 2000 in it's place as it works just the same. I've used this to create slipstreamed SP3 into Win 2K Pro and it worked like a champ. Now I'll use the same procedure for SP4 as well.

Slipstreaming

Hi jmmijo

Thanks for the link. My PC crashed 1st thing this AM as I began the process of backing everything up. Win 98SE must have read instead of wasting time with a Dual Boot with Win 2000. Win 98 is getting the Big Boot Off LMAO laugh

See you all on the NT side soon, Mike