Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Best ad/pop-up blocker?

I like Popup cop

And a combination of that Zone alarm and host file, i have an ad free surfing exp

I like LMHosts entries. They are free, consume no resources to run and can be easily added to everytime a bastard pop-up gets through. Do a search for "hosts" on this site and there should be a couple of posts with the good listings in them

You can try the new Google toolbar too. Pretty good.

http//toolbar.google.com

It's the 2.0 beta one on the right. Even if it's beta, didn't have any problems.

I too like the new BETA Google bar, I use it in conjunction with Pop-Up Killer and they do a good job of catching most of them wink

Quote:
I too like the new BETA Google bar, I use it in conjunction with Pop-Up Killer and they do a good job of catching most of them wink

I have heard about it. Is there spyware involved? If not then what does google get out of it? It has to be something other then just getting you to use their serach engine more.

Not sure really, but I bet if you read the fine print you could find out exactly what they get outta it wink

Mozilla works great for me. Since I installed and configured it, I have yet to get any pop-ups.

I always wanted to know something about Mozilla and some of the other browsers that kill pop-ups like this. Has anyone been to any sites that test for pop-up killers/stoppers and tells you to take a hike cause you're using one ;(

jmmijo,

I have been using Mozilla for about a year now and have visited many, many, websites and have had only 1 site kick me. I have been to websites that have brought M$ IE to its knees with popups, then went to the same site with Mozilla and no problems and no pop-ups. One site I can remember hit me with about 12 continuous pop-ups with IE and NONE with Mozilla.

Mozilla/Firebird seconded here. Since I stopped using my old favourite IE5 in preference to Mozilla & Firebird I've not seen a popup in a very long time, for the post part I've forgotten about them. Combine that browser with the Outpost Pro firewall which also kills ads and you've got sweet browsing smile

Quote:
Mozilla/Firebird seconded here. Since I stopped using my old favourite IE5 in preference to Mozilla & Firebird I've not seen a popup in a very long time, for the post part I've forgotten about them. Combine that browser with the Outpost Pro firewall which also kills ads and you've got sweet browsing smile

True, but Firebird can block ads, too... Next time you see a banner ad, right click on it, and choose 'Block images from this server'. Of course, you'll want to verify the domain first, something like ads.doubleclick.com or images.clickthru.com... You get the idea, anyway.

yeah i use firebird and it blocks most pop-ups and ads, great browser. Mouse gestures and tabbed browsing too!!