Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sanosuke

Installing an OS without a CD Rom drive

Hi i have got this really old 166Mhz computer and i need to reinstall windows 98 into it, however it does not have a CD rom drive, but it does exist on a network, i am wondering how am i supposed to do a network install, any help would be useful.

Thanks in advanced

http://www.bootdisk.com/

There you will be able to get the components needed to create a network bootdisk.

1. Copy cabs over to a network share on your server ..... fat32 based partition with only share permissions.

2. Download / Customize your bootdisk so that it allows you to log into that share.

Other alternatives include an old parallel port zip drive and running GUEST from DOS.

G'Luck

Create a folder on the root drive and copy over all the windows cabs. Use boot disk and install from DOS.

thanks for the replies now i just need to ask abit more questions.

1) what kind of CAB files am i supposed to copy to my network share? Ok say i want to install windows 98SE, means i copy all the CAB files from my windows 98SE CD into the network share?

2)what kind of tools do i put into my bootup disk so that i can access my network share?

Thanks again.

Put hard drive in working machine. Copy the win98 folder from the cd to the hard drive. Put drive back in win98 machine. Run c:\win98\setup.exe from a dos booted environment. http://drd.dyndns.org some sweet bootdisks there.

From what I hear, this will probably be the easiest way for you.

duhmez my computer is a PXI, theres no way i can put its harddisk into another pc.

The only way i can think of is to install from network, but i do not know what items i need for my bootdisk.