Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

is there such a program

You'd probably guess that I am being a cheapscate here but I have not decided yet what to do with me server (I don't want to buy static IP yet). Anyway, I was wondering if there is a freeware out there that can querry my router for the current DSL ip and send it to my yahoo account so I can check it from work so I can terminal serv in. Nothing fancy just ask for the current IP and email it to me@yahoo.com. I should be able to schedule it of course. Is there an indie programmer out there that can whip this up for a reasonable $, or free because you a nice guy/gal ;-).

thanks

I have a Linksys router/4-port switch. I connect to me server through an IP address, how does DNS2go and noip work with that. Doesn't the client software just monitor the ip change from my DSL and make sure my domain name stays connected to that new ip? that's from my understanding of the service (someone enlighten me please)...

Right now I don't have a domain name. everyday I just check for the new IP before I leave for work and just change my IP configuration on the terminal server client.

I don't know that Dynamic DNS will be a good solution for you because you're using the Linksys router.

I would be willing to take a crack at writing a program for you. Email me privately and we'll discuss. I'll send you a private message with my email address.

direct update will do this though a router. It is shareware but you can try it for free. I know that it is cheep to buy it.

Here's a thought... ICQ. I haven't used it in a while, but you used to be able to see a person's ip with it when they were online. just create some dummy profile on your server and leave it signed in. From your remote desktop sign in and look at the properties of the server's icq user. ICQ might not do this anymore, and it may be a bit of a security threat but it's a different approach that may work for you.

Jim

Quote:
Here's a thought... ICQ. I haven't used it in a while, but you used to be able to see a person's ip with it when they were online. just create some dummy profile on your server and leave it signed in. From your remote desktop sign in and look at the properties of the server's icq user. ICQ might not do this anymore, and it may be a bit of a security threat but it's a different approach that may work for you.

Jim

Hmmm...something I'll look into. thanks

Yeah, set ICQ to establish a direct connection with the user when msging. then send a msg to your dummy on the server, then check the IP with netstat