Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dave.green1

Internet sharing issue

OK...this is a problem that a friend of mine has been having for a while now and I don't know how to fix it...

He had a power outage last week. Everything went off and back on just like that. The monitor wasn't recieving a signal from the box at all. However, he says that there was power to the machine still. Ever since then he has not been able to connect to the internet.

He used the onboard LAN card to connect. Everytime he boots the machine, he gets the default windows IP address that it give when you can't connect to the network.

When I unplug the cable, windows doesn't give the "network connection undetected" message. Also, there are not active connections that show on the router box.

I have tried disabling the card in the CMOS, starting in safe mode with networking and playing with ever service I can think of.

It is a Linksys box and his machine is a P4 2.0 GHZ running Win XP PRO.

I cannot remove the TCP/IP settings to restart from scratch. I've tried doing a release and renew on the card and that didn't work either.

The next step is to install a new network card, disable the onboard one and see it that will fix it. If not, I don't know what to do next.

Has anyone ever seen this problem, or is he SOL?

There are 2 people who use the router...him and the guy he rents from. The guy upstairs has no problem at all connecting.

There is no internet connection sharing crap on XP either....this is a straight DSL/Cable router....

I have never seen this in my life.....so I turn to the great minds on this wonderful forum... Can I do anything else to try and fix this before I start screwing with the hardware.

I really appreciate any help I can get on this.....cause I don't know what to do next.

Thanks in advance guys....Dave

Power off the router, wait 30 seconds and power it back on. Do this with the problem machine powered off and unplugged.

I've tried that.....I reset the router, cable modem, unpluged and repluged everything....still no go.

Thanks...Dave

Then I would place money on the NIC going bad. Checked the cable did you? Tried a different port on the router?

All of em. Every last one......I guess I will have to go the way of replacing the NIC.

Thanks....Dave

It was the onboard NIC. It was fried....I put a PCI card in and it worked no problem.

Thanks for the help...