Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

Mouse button double-clicking when single-clicked.

Seems when some of my mice age, they sometimes develop this habit. Problem is, this time, I've got a nice mouse, so I really don't want to replace it.

It was doing it for a while and then not, then just as I was thinking it was a thing of the past, it's doing it again.

Is there anything I can do to clean it or something? Or is it a shot microswitch that would need to be removed and replaced by soldering? I'd rather not take the mouse apart, as MS was kind enough to place the skids over the screw holes. ;(

MAN this is annoying. Hitting the button hard seems to work for a more often than not single click. And sometimes while I'm holding down the button it will register release and re-hold very fast.

It may sound funny but it's downright annoying. Clicking on the task bar to reopen a window to have it minimize again instantly. Repeatedly. Highlighting sections of text is a real drag to (no pun intended) as when I lift the mouse it tweaks and the highlight is gone. And as I cant release the mouse button hard, this becomes a luck of the draw repeat as necessary drill that gets old fast.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Seems when some of my mice age, they sometimes develop this habit. Problem is, this time, I've got a nice mouse, so I really don't want to replace it.

It was doing it for a while and then not, then just as I was thinking it was a thing of the past, it's doing it again.

Is there anything I can do to clean it or something? Or is it a shot microswitch that would need to be removed and replaced by soldering? I'd rather not take the mouse apart, as MS was kind enough to place the skids over the screw holes. ;(

MAN this is annoying. Hitting the button hard seems to work for a more often than not single click. And sometimes while I'm holding down the button it will register release and re-hold very fast.

It may sound funny but it's downright annoying. Clicking on the task bar to reopen a window to have it minimize again instantly. Repeatedly. Highlighting sections of text is a real drag to (no pun intended) as when I lift the mouse it tweaks and the highlight is gone. And as I cant release the mouse button hard, this becomes a luck of the draw repeat as necessary drill that gets old fast.

Any ideas?

I have never had this happen to me. Just curious, are you using USB or PS2?

The left mouse button my MS Explorer mouse went like that. It was really sensitive. Trying to get a single click out of it was a nightmare.

I tried slowing the double click speed right down in Windows but it didn't help much.

It was on my work machine, so I lived with it for a shortwhile, and then replaced the whole PC. The same mouse on a new PC is behaving properly again.

Probably not the solution you were looking for though laugh

Quote:
The left mouse button my MS Explorer mouse went like that. It was really sensitive. Trying to get a single click out of it was a nightmare.

I tried slowing the double click speed right down in Windows but it didn't help much.

It was on my work machine, so I lived with it for a shortwhile, and then replaced the whole PC. The same mouse on a new PC is behaving properly again.

Probably not the solution you were looking for though laugh

Sounds like the typical large corporation.... Your mouse breaks, you get a new machine.

Not quite. I was due a new PC anyway. And I'm still using the old mouse on the new machine and it's now fine.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure it's the mouse. I'd say 99.9% sure. FTR, it's a intellimouse optical (the five button symetrical one) connected directly to USB.

I think the previous mouse that had this problem eventually went back to normal, but I'm not certain. I wish windows had a minimum double click speed, as in very fast double clicks are ignored. wink

it could be the settings for the mouse. you can set your mouse so when you move it over an icon it will select it and when you click it's like you have double-clicked on it. i'm sure it is just one check mark somewhere in the settings but i dont see it now.

Quote:
Not quite. I was due a new PC anyway. And I'm still using the old mouse on the new machine and it's now fine.

I figured that was the case...still...I had to say it

Quote:
i'm sure it is just one check mark somewhere in the settings but i dont see it now.
Thanks for the feedback, but that's not the case. It does this sparadically. It does this in games. And it does this while highlighting text. If it were a desktop option, the problem would not be solved by reversing the left/right button, or happen in games, etc. I think the switch either has something foreign in it, or is failing.

Well, thanks again for all who replied.

I think I might have found a solution to the problem. laugh

[edit] frown One that only works for 1 hour. frown[/edit]

Thought I'd post how, in case anyone else goes through this (likely, as I've experienced it with 2 or 3 different mice).

Disclaimer: Taking apart a mouse could/will void it's warrantee. The parts inside are very sensitive, and easily damaged or broken, and hooking up such a damaged device could cause further damage to your computer. Also read the warning labels on canned/compressed air containers and abide by these safety precautions. Attempting the fix described below is at your own risk.

OK, now that I've finished my lawyer impression...

I took apart my mouse (on the Intellimouse Optical this required removing the bottom rear two scuff pads, unscrewing the 2 screws and slowly lifting/wiggling the rear bottom until the top completely separated) and noticed that there was dust on top of the left microswitch, but not the other right. So, I took some compressed air and BLASTED the switch close range for several seconds. Put it back together and voila! Tested it several times on the mouse config double click test, and it's (knock wood) working great. Staying held down isn't glitching either.

WOO-HOO! laugh

at work i use an air compressor for cleaning dust off the computers. it works really good. i could set the pressure and get just the right pressure, so it won't damage anything. it removes all kiknds of sticky dust.