Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spuds34

Installing Windows XP pro with an ATA hardrive?????

I have a Chaintech 7NJS Zenith nForce 2 Athlon(XP)/ Duron DDR ATX mobo and a Seagate Barracudo 120GB (serial ATA/ 7200 RPM). Im trying to install windows xp pro, and the installation wizard doesn't register my hardrive. Anyone know what to do????

I think that you need to press F6 when it says so and load your Serial ATA driver off the supplied disk.

Sometimes you have to creat a floppy driver disk from the supplied CD-ROM as not every manufacturer does this for you wink

As in the previous reply, you will need to boot from the Windows XP CD. When it ask if you want to install a third party driver for SCSI, press F6 and it will eventually ask you to insert the floppy diskette (the one that came with your serial ata hard drive) once, maybe twice. It asked me twice on my motherborard install. Once Windows reboots, afterwards, you should see a choice for Serial ATA on your boot sequence. But be aware, you may need to set your boot sequence to boot to SCSI first. On mine, the boot sequence does not even list a Serial ATA drive but it rather registers as a SCSI drive and will need to boot from that. Also, make sure you have any other hard drives disconnected as this has caused a problem in the past. Then once Windows xp is installed, plug in your other hard drives, if you have any. But remember once you install another hard drive, Windows may ask you to reboot, once you begin to reboot, make sure the boot sequence hasn't changed as sometimes it has happened and the boot sequence was changed to the second hard drive, causing windows not to load.

Good luck

MSI K7N2 Delta (Nvidia Ultra 400)

AMD XP2800 (Barton core)

768 MB Corsair DDR 3200, CL2

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro All-in-Wonder

Western Digital Raptor Serial ATA 37 Gig at 10,000 Rpm

Quote:
the only problem is that my hardrive didn't come w/ anything frown

I would think that this is more dependant on drivers for the controller card, whether this is on you motherboard, or, independant. Suggest that you look at whatever drivers came with that software, or, is on their websites.

Quote:
is there any way to do it without any floppy drive ?

Probably if you burn it to a CD.