Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
r0cc0

Megarace 2 & WinXP = grrrr !!!

Hello all,

I am becoming crazy !! I'm trying to play Megarace2 under WinXP but it's impossible !

No error msg when I start the megarace.exe ( i've tried with dos console )

When I launch the install.bat, it displays the installation page with the music installation, it copies without problem on c:\mega2 . But when I start the game ! PAF !! nothing's happening, no error msg.

I've tried with VDMSound but it told me that MSCDEX is not present or something like this.

I've tried to swap mscdexnt.exe with an other version "sapucdex.exe" wich normally should work ( in autoexec.nt ) but it still does not work, even same msg.

I've tried too with Dosbox, but it doesnt work, it closed the windows launching the game.

The only way I see is to emulate Win98 with something like Virtual PC or install Win98 ! But I do not have anymore Win 98 ='(

I dont understand why the installation is OK and not the game, surely the VESA mode ? I dont think it's the sound ....

Please if someone got an idea, answer me !

Thanks a lot

cya !

There is no DOS in WindowsXP. It is emulated. DOS games suffer badly from this fact and most of them aren't going to work in WinXP. Ever.

Looks like you found one of them.

oh damn !

i cant believe that, i'm sure you can play !!

anyone else ? ;o)

Quote:
Hello all,

I am becoming crazy !! I'm trying to play Megarace2 under WinXP but it's impossible !
No error msg when I start the megarace.exe ( i've tried with dos console )
When I launch the install.bat, it displays the installation page with the music installation, it copies without problem on c:\mega2 . But when I start the game ! PAF !! nothing's happening, no error msg.
I've tried with VDMSound but it told me that MSCDEX is not present or something like this.
I've tried to swap mscdexnt.exe with an other version "sapucdex.exe" wich normally should work ( in autoexec.nt ) but it still does not work, even same msg.
I've tried too with Dosbox, but it doesnt work, it closed the windows launching the game.

The only way I see is to emulate Win98 with something like Virtual PC or install Win98 ! But I do not have anymore Win 98 ='(

I dont understand why the installation is OK and not the game, surely the VESA mode ? I dont think it's the sound ....

Please if someone got an idea, answer me !

Thanks a lot

cya !
Get the VDMSound Launchpad addin (same download location) and you can set the game to use VESA and provide the MSCDEX MR2 needs. I never owned MR2 so I cannot test it for you, sorry (got 1 & 3)

Anyone else with this problem might find some help here where rocco got more information, though ultimately he resorted to a Win98 install to get it working...

Ok so I know you've been having problems and I've decided to help because just yesterday(being Friday) my similar problem was solved. I couldn't get the CD Audio to work for my Tomb Raider 1 game on Win XP Pro and now it works perfectly. Friday night I put together two sets of instructions on how to get the SAPUCDEX.EXE driver to work with [VDMSound 2.0.4 + VDMSound 2.0.4 update2 + VDMSound Launchpad] and even with just [VDMSound 2.0.4, no updates, no launchpad]. I've only tested the latter on Tomb Raider 1 but if you add everything it should always work. I'm still trying to figure out how to have Windows naturally use the SAPUCDEX instead of MSCDEX but so far I don't think windows is using the SAPUCDEX. The instructions are a little lengthy to post here but I will do it anyway. I can send you the instructions in a text file if you like and if you need anything else that I can help with let me know:

blank2blank@hotmail.com <-- MSN Messenger too.

See the http://vogons.zetafleet.com/ Glidos forum for other tips

Simple Method:

- Install VDMSound v2.0.4 or later only.

- Extract the SAPUCDEX zip file to a folder (preferably the

VDMSound folder) and make note of its location. Be sure to put

both the .EXE and the .dll files in the same location.

- Find the AUTOEXEC.VDMS in the VDMSound folder.

- At the section that says (if the "REM" statements are all there

or not doesn't matter):

REM Install CD ROM extensions - to enable, uncomment the line

immediately below:

REM lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

type "REM" in front the mscdexnt line and on the line directly

below it enter: "lh (drive letter):\(folder location)\SAPUCDEX.EXE"

the location of the SAPUCDEX.EXE file and make sure to use DOS 8.3

directory names format. ie: The folder Program Files would be

written as progra~1 in 8.3 format.

- Save the AUTOEXEC.VDMS file

- Now all you have to do is right click the program and chose

"Run with VDMS".

- That's it!

User Friendly GUI Method:

- Install VDMSound v2.0.4 or later & the latest version of any updates.

- Install VDMSound Launchpad v1.0.1.1 or later

(full release non-alpha/beta is safer)

- Follow the instructions in "SAPUCDEX Dos Game CD-Audio Driver.txt"

which is to place the SAPUCDEX.exe and SAPUCDEX.dll files in the

VDMSound main folder. Then open the game's VDMSound shortcut properties

(right-click) made by VDMSound Launchpad. Find the "Advanced" tab or

button and enable the section or box called "Autoexec". Then type

"SAPUCDEX" in the "Autoexec" section or box. Click the OK button

as necessary.

- Now all you have to do is right click the program and chose

"Run with VDMS" try both with and without the music icon or use the

shortcut made by VDMS.

- That's it!

blank2blank@hotmail.com <-- MSN Messenger too.

Megarace2 can be played fine on Win2000 Pro after installation of the new VDMSound 2.1, but VDMSound LaunchPad is still very much needed. Otherwise MR2 won't run, and all you get is that MSCDEX crap message.

Unfortunately i had no success putting the sound to work.

bold text