Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hardwarecrazy

W2K-SP4: What is the verdict?

i have install them @ my home computer.it works ok.but i don't trust them for my company network...i will think about this after 1-2 monthes...

I have a copy slipstreamed into my win2k pro cd, and have been using it for weeks now. I've not seen any problem at all with it.

After installing it, I've had problem with my DSL modem.

I scheduled an automatic disconnection, and modem never connected back again.... even after many reboots. I tested it on my other PC also with SP4 : same problem. Tested it on a computer's friend (SP4 and other DSL line), same problem. Tested it under 98, worked fine. Installed a clean 2k SP3, worked fine. I have yet to test it on clean 2k SP4 (slipstreamed CD ready) to see if it really has something to do with SP4.

also i read that if you install the sp4 an you use 3d studio max .MAKES all you files of 3d max corrupted

I have an Audigy platinum and in Win2k SP3 all was perfect. I do a clean install with SP4 and my 1394 driver will not install...claims the hardware *isn't there*...outside of that annoying issue SP4 screams for me.

Quote:
also i read that if you install the sp4 an you use 3d studio max .MAKES all you files of 3d max corrupted

I believe that certain other Autocad files are affected similarly.

moo.dll in mirc, for reporting boxstats, crashes mirc when i run it with Sp4. ghost back to sp3 and it works fine.

Quote:
Microsoft already knows, as does Autodesk. They're working on a solution.

smile

Aren't they always x) .

Quote:
SP4 has seemed to speed several systems up here, noticed also by end users.

i have seen this speedup @ my home computer.but @ work the users working on 3dmax maya5 lightwave 7.5 cinema 4d and video editing.so i can't risk my job....

Quote:
P.S.=> Still, overall, the speedup folks are noting is an excellent bonus... almost makes me want to run XP vs. 2k (has anyone compared their performance by any chance after this SP4 was applied to 2k?)... apk

Yes Adam, I'm running a dual boot with XP & W2K on my main workstation. I find that I'm now spending the majority of my time in XP (by preference). After some tuning ;(, I find it to be a (more) desireable enviornment with no performance hit and better hardware compatability.

Quote:

Adam?

LOL... it's cool, typo, right? I hope so...

Sorry Alec.... didn't have my hat on straight

Quote:
I'm running a dual boot with XP & W2K on my main workstation. I find that I'm now spending the majority of my time in XP (by preference). After some tuning ;(, I find it to be a (more) desireable enviornment with no performance hit and better hardware compatability.

Quote:
So... this is not as quick as XP is based on general "feel" right? That's the type of feedback I am/was waiting on.... thanks for it by the by, I will await the opinions of others as well...

Actually the 'speed' is about the same. A little faster boot, a little slower shutdown ;-). But, once some of the more obnoxious M$ features are toned down, the pluses start to outweigh the minuses. A dual boot is probably a good idea, as, it lets you get comfortable with xp.

By the way, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have installed sp4. I see no improvements, and a lot of potental problems including this Acad thing.

Quote:
Seems MS "traditionally" does better on the odd numbered service packs... no joke! smile

APK

As good a theory as any ;-) .

Humm... that means that the next one for XP will be a bomb laugh !