Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geoff McDowall

AppPatchalops Now

I'm trying to install the w2k compatability patch.

Following instructions I type in

regsvr32C:\WINNT\AppPatch\slayerui.dll

and get "unable to open Internet Short cut the protocol "regsvr32c" doesnot have a registered program

If I type regsvr32\C:\WINNT\AppPatch\slayerui.dll

I get cannot find "regsvr32\C:\WINNT\... or one of its components make sure filepath and name are correct.

Is there something very obvious I'm doing wrong?

I have SP2 installed and can find slayerui in if I run a search

Thanks

Hi Geoff,

Yes you're absolutely right you are doing something wrong and thankfully it's a simple mistake.

How to make it work:

1. Click [start] ---> "Run"

3. Type "Regsvr32 C:\WINNT\AppPatch\slayerui.dll"

Expected Result:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RegSvr32

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(i) DllRegisterServer in C:\WINNT\AppPatch\slayerui.dll suceeded.

[ OK ]"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps,

Christian Blackburn

Hi Adam,

How's it going? FreeDos 1.0 is coming along nicely in terms of components. Currently, I think the main problem is the installer and the lack of patching system ala Windows Update. We also finally got a freeware CD Rom driver that we can distribute that had been a big issue for a long time. Basically freedos hasn't released their own build of the OS in about 1.5 years, because of installer issues. So New Creations created a commercial distribution with an installer. This is both a good an a bad on one hand it means we're growing since a company has taken on the responsibility of distributing the operating system, on the other hand it sucks, because they want you to pay for the most recent version. So the only way a user can stay up to date for free is to download the older free version from New Creations and then download whatever files have been updated since then. I've considered writing a service pack system for the OS. However, I just don't use DOS that much myself anymore so I can hardly see the point. I think FreeDos is great, fun, and even sometimes useful, but I'm going to leave the major legwork to someone else.

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Geoff,

I'm sorry I almost forgot. You're most welcome. Did get your legacy apps running?

Cheers,

Christian

I managed to install the patch thanks to your help. For Nt I had a great book called Useing Windows NT Workstation 4. It's like a recipe book, find your problem and follow the instructions. I probably will wait til I upgrade to xp before investing in another one, but I find trying to work around problems a nightmare as my problems never seem to be in FAQ's and help sites for individual programs never seem to get back to you with anything useful. So I've really come to appreciate forums like these. That said so far none of the games seem to want to run anyway. But at least I've got a start.

Sop thank again.

Geoff