Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Azreal

Looking for some opinions on Video Cards

I have a Geforce 3 TI200 and I am thinking of upgrading I am working with about a $200 budget. Any Idea's on what I should get I have been looking at some of hte Geforce FX 5600 cards. Should I get one or wait and just save that money.

Thanks

Thinkin of ATI or nvidia?

For ati I would recomend a 9700 or an 9500 if you can still get one. I have an 9600 and it's ok but an 9500 would be faster.

One more thing too for ATI cards i would prefer pro versions, yes 9500 pro is faster then 9600pro/5600 ultra but i think 9600 is pretty good too, plus ATI has a advantage on the quality side. It's most obvious when watching VCD/DVD and comparing side by side with a nvidia card.....

If TV out will ever matter o you, go with the Ati for sure. Otherwise its all good either way.

Get a 128MB 9500. Newegg has it for $140. It can be soft modded to make it effectively a 9700 pro. It's definitely the best deal out there. That is where my money is going to go in a week or two. If you can wait, it seems to be dropping steadily week by week. Especially since the newer cards are coming out it, might go lower.

Well my biggest stumbling block is gettign over allt he driver problems ATI had in the past. Ihave been looking at Gainwards 5600 and Prolink 5600 Gold edition. Are most of you guys thinking that I will most likely need a new card again when Doom 3 and Half-life 2 make it out Or will I make the minimums.

ATI has drivers problems in the past, but the current generation of drivers (catalyst) is much better then before....and on my Radeon9600pro it works perfectly...

ATI HAD driver issues

they now have great support

NVIDIA HAD drivers isue

etc

etc

both companies have had their downfall. personally i ahev never had an ATi driver issue that so many complain about, and yet i have had numerous NVIDIA BSOD's.

i have done WAY too much reading! NO FX card is worth it unless it is a 5900Ultra or above - you are better off with an ATi card. the nvidia line what you pay for is too much for the performance you get.

what is your price range?

OK If I was to go ATI what should I get the Price Range would be $200 to $300. I would prefer closer to the $200 dollar mark.

Quote:
OK If I was to go ATI what should I get the Price Range would be $200 to $300. I would prefer closer to the $200 dollar mark.

The best deal out there is the 9500 Pro ($140). The next step up is the 9700 ($300) and you can get the exact same performance with the 9500.

Quote:
Quote:

The best deal out there is the 9500 Pro ($140). The next step up is the 9700 ($300) and you can get the exact same performance with the 9500.

no actually u can not get the exact same performabnce from 9500 PRO as u can with a 9700 PRO - only if u get the right pcb card and do a bios mod to turn that 9500PRO INTO a 9700 PRO, buit those boards are becomng hard to find.

u can now get if u look hard 9700PRO's for some palces for $250 - that is your best bet.

there are plenty of softmods to do a 9500 to 9700 conversion.

As for that tom's hardware review hrmm he tested like 7 or 8 nVidia cards and only 3 ATi cards.

TH is always biased toward nVidia products.

ATi is a better card handsdown. Their drivers are better, their cards are faster, and cheaper. The 9700 pro is a great card especially now that you can get it for less than $300. I paid $200 for my 9500 pro and im satisfied with that. Im never going to buy another nVidia card again, especially after the omega drive fiasco.

Their chipsets though is a different story...

Quote:
there are plenty of softmods to do a 9500 to 9700 conversion.

As for that tom's hardware review hrmm he tested like 7 or 8 nVidia cards and only 3 ATi cards.

TH is always biased toward nVidia products.

ATi is a better card handsdown. Their drivers are better, their cards are faster, and cheaper. The 9700 pro is a great card especially now that you can get it for less than $300. I paid $200 for my 9500 pro and im satisfied with that. Im never going to buy another nVidia card again, especially after the omega drive fiasco.

Their chipsets though is a different story...

god the omega thing, what a joke!!!

If I was you I would get ATI 9700 pro rather than fx 5600. It beat 5600.

Right now the drivers for ATI has got better, try omega driver for ati, IF you don't like the catalyst.

http://www.omegacorner.com

Beside I like the way ATI video cards work, and the quality picture is just spectacular than fx.

I had Geforce TI4200, it okay, I brought ATI sapphire 9700 pro, I'll just say ......... laugh while playing tribes 2

I vote for ATI

By the way its your computer, you choose what best for you. For me is ATI ATI ATI ATI ATI!!!! :x

I would value the ATI cards like this:

ATI Radeon 9500 PRO

ATI Radeon 9700 PRO

ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO

The 9500 PRO is the best value option. It is a good card, and can be overclocked and modded to 9700 like performance. If you are the overclocker type all the non-PRO cards can be upped to the PRO speeds. Your call on that, but the price difference is minimal so you might as well get the PRO versions.