Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Champion_R

Admin Share Weirdness

Sometimes I've encountered this weirdness when trying to connect to an admin share. When it prompts for the User name and password, the username field is ghosted out and thus stuck as guest.

Does anyone know why this happens and/or how to fix it?

Guest Account enabled?

Event Viewer?

Server Service running under local accounts?

I personally havent seen this, but more information would be needed to figure this out smile

It happens on machines with or without the Guest account enabled. I'm totally stumped on what causes it or how to fix it.

Just a thought. Windows XP seems to forcing you to use the "forced" guest account. If you have simple file sharing installed and you are not on a domain this could be your problem.

"When a Windows XP Professional–based computer is not joined to a domain, the simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the model used in previous versions of Windows. By default, all users logging on to such computers over the network are forced to use the Guest account; this is called ForceGuest."

"ForceGuest is enabled by default, but can be disabled on Windows XP Professional by disabling the local security policy Network Access: Force Network Logons using Local Accounts to Authenticate as Guest. By contrast, on Windows XP Professional–based computers joined to a domain, the default sharing and security settings are the same as in Windows 2000. Likewise, if the ForceGuest policy setting on a Windows XP Professional–based computer not joined to a domain is disabled, then the computer behaves as in Windows 2000."

http://network.fament.com/helmig/j_helmig/wxpsimsh.htm

I'll have a look into that solution. When I searched google groups, the problem seems to occur for others to without a known solution. I'll post my results here.