Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gilgamesh

Monitor help, please

My problem is my (crappy) VS17X Dell Monitor. Last night, I first noticed the problem. I left my computer for 20 minutes and came back and it was as if the monitor had gone into power saving mode, which I have turned off. The normally green light was now the blinking amber color it has when going into power save mode. However, I would move the mouse around and push keys but it would not wake up. So I was forced to hard reset. It booted up fine and worked for the rest of the night. I turned it on this morning and it booted fine. I left it on while I was at work for five hours. Then I came back and it was just like it was last night. I couldn't get it back on. So I hard reset but now I can't even get into Windows. It starts the Windows XP boot screen and then goes into the seemingly power saving mode again. It is erratic however, sometimes I don't even get that far. Is this the monitor or something else? Oh yea, please note the computer fans and hard drive are running and it seems as if the computer is going through booting regularly. Please help, thanks.

-gilgamesh

Most likely the power supply for the monitor and/or the high-voltage circuitry is going out. I have a similar problem with the monitor I use here at work, however all I do is power off the monitor and back on again to resume and it's like your's, very sporadic when it does this frown

Actually I just found out that the problem is not the monitor. I have checked ASUS Probe and my +12V voltage is not stable. It moves up and down between 12.3 and 10.5, eventually leading to a lock up. I don't know what I should do to fix this. Any ideas? I have done no overclocking or changed an BIOS settings. It just started doing this for no apparent reason. Thanks.

-gilgamesh

OK, well then it's actually the voltage regulator circuits on the mobo, most likely some component(s) is gone belly up now. It costs more to repair a mobo then to purchase a new one, but on the off chance it's actually the power supply for the machine, try swapping this out first and recheck the voltages again wink

I tried pluging the power strip into a completely different plug altogether in my room and it seems that the voltages are now stable. Could this have been the problem? The motherboard and the power supply are less than 3 months old. Do you think the problem is fixed? Or maybe just temporarily fixed? Thanks. Also, do you think anything is damaged, it seems ok, I'm just checking to make sure.

Here's what ASUS Probe voltages say:

+12V -> 12.416

+5V -> 4.972

+3.3V -> 3.28

VCORE -> 1.776

The kind of fluctuate slightly, like 12V will go to 12.48 sometimes and 3.3V will go to 3.264 sometimes. Are these slight fluctuations normal? Thanks.

-gilgamesh

Slight fluctiations as you call them will depend upon the specs of said mobo and power supply. This means that there is an acceptable range for these voltages depending upon what the manufacturer of each item specifies. What you listed seems to be within specs but you need to keep monitoring the voltages for drastic fluctuations however wink

just watch it over time, if it keep happening start with trying a diff or new power supply what you want to look for is NOT the

500w!!

but what the 3.3+5v output is total - a P4 requires a 180w min. suggested. not sure what amd is.