Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
midiboy

HP 4200C Scanner. No driver for W2K ?

Hi !

I am wondering wether anyone knows a way to get the HP 4200C USB scanner to work with W2k ? HP doesn´t seem to develop any W2K drivers for it. Does anyone have any news ?

Thanks,

Alex

I've got the 4100C USB working under Win2K Release 2183. All I had to do was plug it in and Win2K recognized it and installed some MS drivers for it.

As for the resolution, it sucks - but that's because MS's drivers uses the native resolution of the scanner and has nothing to enhance it's capabilities.

Since the 4200C was the replacement for the 4100C, I would expect that it would work the same. Simply fire up the computer without the scanner plugged into the USB port, and then when the machine is fully up and running, plug in the scanner and Windows should recognize that a new USB device has been installed and then should install new drivers.

If the computer does not even acknowledge that the scanner has been plugged in, then the USB ports might have something wrong.

Hope this helps.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Hi Bryon ....

sorry, took me awhile to answer .... it seems that W2K does not have any driver for the 4200C. USB bus is working because W2K detected the Epson USB printer and also a Unkown USB device which must be the scanner. Does anyone know a solution to this ?

Thanks,

Alex

In Device Manager, remove the Unknown Device reference, unplug the scanner from the computer, shutdown and restart. After the machine is completely running, plug the scanner back in. This should cause Windows 2000 to load the correct drivers - if it can see my 4100C, it should be able to address your 4200C.

If the scanner is still not showing as installed, go into Settings, Control Panel, Scanners and Camera and see if you can add it manually ("Have Disk".)

I installed everything first and then plugged in my add ons one at a time to ge them installed correctly (for some reason, all MS products seem to work better, if you add additional hardware a single piece at a time.)

Hope this helps.

Sorry,

but it does not work. There is a driver for the 4100C and the 5100C but NOT for the 4200C. I tried installing the driver for the 4100C which sort of worked, but any app will crash when trying to scan from within using this driver. There also is no driver available from HP yet ... so I guess I am f.cked ... :-(((

Thanks anyway ... for your help !

Alex

Ok, the official word is this. I have some inside sources since I work at HP.

HP does not plan on making scanner drivers for any _current_ USB scanners. The 4100 works because, as other people found out, it's an Epson OEM that just happens to have a driver already. The first supported USB Scanjet will be the 5300, which isn't out yet.

Now, I want to change their mind, as I'm sure you do.

So, that being said, I want to get everyone's participation on convincing this group that there needs to be support for our scanner in Windows 2000.

If you wish to see the Scanjet 4200 support in Windows 2000, go to

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/scanjet4200

and reply to my post there. Once I have gotten a good number of responses, I will contact this group in HP again and tell them what we think. smile

If you do not wish to join the club, you can send me email.

-hal

hal@null.net

HI Hal !

Of course I am supporting you. If you know anyone at HP that is responsible for this unbelievably stupid decision ( pardon me but this is simply crazy ! ) please tell him/her that I will immediately sell my scanner and NEVER, EVER buy any other HP product anymore, if they won´t start developing W2K drivers soon. In addition I will tell all my friends to do the same.

Do they expect noone to to switch to W2K or what ? I would understand this if the scanner and technology was 5 years old, but the 4200 came out last year. I am sooo disappointed in HP ....

I sent you an email too since I didn´t find a way to join the yahoo club ...

Thanks and please keep me posted about any development ! :-)

midiboy