Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytezboy

XP asking for password on network shares

Ok, here's the picture. I have 3 computers connected to a router with builtin switch. 2 of them are running Win2K Pro and one running XP SP1.

I shared the every drive (root drive) on the Win2k machines.

I mounted the drives on my XP computer. When I try to access the shares in the 2 computers running 2K on my XP machine... it always popups a screen asking for a username and password. Why do I have to do this? Is there a way to prevent it from prompting me for one? It gets annoying since some apps that I run require access to the other compuers on the LAN and doing this everytime at bootup.

I set permissions on the 2k machines to "Everyone". When I access the other computers (XP and 2K) using the 2k machines, it doesn't prompt me for a username and password. It only asks me for username and password when I use the XP machine to access the shares in the 2k machines. Thanks in advance.

"Everyone" does not mean everyone in the world - it means that all accounts on the computer have access to that share. If you want it to truly allow anyone to access the share without authenticating, you need to enable the "Guest" account...

I tried enabling guest account but it says something like "access denied" when I go to the computer. I want to give FULL access to the drives.

As I said before, only XP asks for a username and password so this is seems like a XP-related issue. When I access the shares on the XP and Win2K computer using a 2K box, I don't need to enter any username and password.

Check NTFS permissions as well as share permissions. Remember the most restrictive combination of permissions apply (share + file system).

Default NTFS formatting is different between 2000 and XP when permissions are assigned.

Make sure the account names and passwords are the same on both machines (no blank passwords).

It might be easier just to make sure everyone is an admin and go through the C$ D$ shares.

Hope that clears that up for ya. smile