Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shearerc

Something went weird after NTFS format

Hi all,

Yesterday I formatted my non-system partition, D, in Win2K Command Prompt with this command:

format d: /fs:ntfs

Formatting went smoothly. Immediately after the format, I checked drive D's properties and was shocked to discover 51 megs of space have been taken up! 8)

How could that be? Drive D was empty after formatting, no Recycle Bin, no System Volume Information, nothing. (yes, I set Explorer to show all hidden & system files)

drive_d.gif

D partition is about 10 gigs in size and is healthy with NO bad sectors.

Is this normal behaviour? Thanks for your help.

Big thanks for the quick reply. smile

Yeah, I'm mighty glad to finally make the switch to ntfs; it's been LONG due, I delayed and delayed for months, years lol. Now playing around with the File & Folder Permissions-it's cool!

Anyhow, do you have happen to know of any MS tech documents that explains why MFT can be so ugly big on NTFS partitions? I searched and searched.....found nothing of relevance frown

the MFT can be 8% or more of the total space 50 MB is nothing. dont worry about it.

The zero byte thing is no theory either, for giggles i made a 100 MB ntfs prtition and filled it up that way. it as fun.

One lousy command line can make the billions of 0 byte size files.............

Quote:
Big thanks for the quick reply. smile

Yeah, I'm mighty glad to finally make the switch to ntfs; it's been LONG due, I delayed and delayed for months, years lol. Now playing around with the File & Folder Permissions-it's cool!

Anyhow, do you have happen to know of any MS tech documents that explains why MFT can be so ugly big on NTFS partitions? I searched and searched.....found nothing of relevance frown

I think this will help explain some of the basics of the MFT

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174619

I would goto Microsoft's KB and select - All Microsoft Products - and then just use the keyword mft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

Thanks to everyone who has been helpful.

@jmmijo - that article is excellent, it explains the "weirdness", my gratitude to you.

I need to spend some time brushing up my search skills too.... smile

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has been helpful.

@jmmijo - that article is excellent, it explains the "weirdness", my gratitude to you.

I need to spend some time brushing up my search skills too.... smile

You're welcome my young padawan, now search will you hmmmmmm laugh