Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

Terminal server

Hi all,

Got a question. I setup terminal access on w2k server at home. I can TS in as admin but when I try to login as a user (domain) with privildge to to termserv in I get a message "The Local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively" . If I make this user part a an admin group, no problem. Any idea?

The client is win2k/sp3

go into local security policies and in the security settings group give that user the ability to log in locally and that should be it. One other thing is that if you set the TS to be only accessed for administration, only 2 users can connect and both must be admins. If you set the TS for general use you must set up a license server within 90 days of setting up TS. The License server will connect to Micro$oft to check for licenses.

You can edit the security settings on the Terminal Services Manager MMC snapin on its RDP connection.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Another question somewhat related to this. I have DSL running at home and my ISP can't assign me static IP. I was successfully log on one day using the ip I look up and then the next day the ip change on me. My question is what can I do to keep up with the ip change without going into my router config and find out every day?

I think I read a while back of someone mention DNS2GO you can sign up with and it will dynamically update you domain name with the new IP.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
www.noip.com

Thanks, was looking for that. Has anyone went this route and is it reliable? I'm going to give it a try.

Do you need the TS License Server, even if the clients are all Win2k or XP? I thought they automatically had licenses? If not, does anybody have any idea what cost is involved for just a couple users? I am trying to set this up as an alternative to Pcanywhere so we don't need to tie up multiple machines for multiple logins.