Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Best way to limit a computers bandwidth?

Hey all

i have a computer on our network here that i want to limit the bandwidth on between certain times.

Basically the person who works on it (is a home office but someone comes in to work shifts) i want to limit it as they tend to download things, 50 @ a time!

instead of just downloading one thing and waiting, they open the max IE windows and kill the bandwidth as we are only ona 512cable line - max 70KB up and down.

So i want to limit the banwidth on that computer.

we have a netgear router, but it does not seem to have anything built in to do it so any feedback is good!

Personally I'd tell the offender to knock off the d/l or get their network connection terminated after hours. This person sounds like the worst kind of leech there is frown I bet they'd suck an OC192 dry laugh

Well off my soapbox now wink

I suppose if you have a Cisco router, say even a 2600, you could do this but other then some kind of third party app installed on this workstation I can't really think of any other way to do this.

Perhaps something on downloads.com could help you out:

http://download.com.com/3150-2085-0.html?tag=stbc.gp

lol

they are not too bad, but some night things are just slowwwwww!

not to mention my "boss" not realyl my boos decided that he nwould share our connection with our owner of the place - who lives right next door as well - and i know he ahs his kids over all the time!

So more or less we - the company - is paying for this connection and it seems everyone but me gets to use it, and when i really want or mroe so need to use it, it is slow as heck!

Shall check out download.com

i have a cisco router, but i was told it can not be hooked up with a "lan" in for the internet and LAN out connection frown

Yeah, many of the Cisco routers are setup to connect to a T1 or better connection on the WAN side. They usually have a CSU/DSU card in the expansion slot for this you can look for yourself and see. I suppose it could be swapped out for another 100Mbit card but I can't say for sure wink

hey

i got a cisco 2500 router.

can i do a rj45 in (from a hub) and an rj45 out to the computer or to another hub?

i have the rj45 adapter out from the AUX port..

^^^

yeah if i can use QoP for sure!

if someone can let me know how to set it up! then great! would love too! - more so how to configure it, got it installed.

i assume i have to set this up on the computer i want to limit - that is not a problem.

Quote:
hey

i got a cisco 2500 router.

can i do a rj45 in (from a hub) and an rj45 out to the computer or to another hub?

i have the rj45 adapter out from the AUX port..

You got a transceiver on the AUI connector then? This should work as it converts the normal AUI connector to standard RJ45 Ethernet. It's been awhile since my ISP days however and I can't get into the Cisco 2600 we have at work as only Corporate can touch it wink

Yep, I remember these guys quite well, used them on Cisco routers just like yours wink

Quote:
Yep, I remember these guys quite well, used them on Cisco routers just like yours wink

So is it possible to have an RJ45 conenction in and then the on out via the adpater?

basically have

Modem ----> Netopia Router ----> Hub -----> Cisco 2501 -----> computer