Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
azygos

Advice on gamepad

I need advice on buying a gamepad

Specs:

1. Minimum 6 buttons (better if including couple of turbo buttons)

2. D-Pad (direction control) should be good

3. Win XP compatibility

4. Compatibility with large no. of games and even better if

compatible even with olden DOS games

5. Compatible with emulators like genesis, snes, callus, nebula,etc

6. Not too expensive (mid range)

7. USB Port support (not necessary if other features are good)

Hi Azygos,

I like Microsoft's GamePad and GamePad USB they are good, because the hand size is clearly for adults. If you have a smaller hand size and want DOS compatiblity a Gravis Game Pad Pro (GamePort Edition vs USB) would be an excellent choice. The MS gamepad is about 19.99 and the gravis one might run you 20-35 dollars.

Cheers,

Christian

Ripped and slightly updated from another post of mine:

BTW for those who don't have a good gamepad to play C2 with, I just bought and can recommend the Belkin Nostromo n45 Dual Analog USB GamePad. It can be purchased (at the time of this post) in the US for $16 from buy.com. Each and every one of the 13 buttons (and even 8 way digipad) can (with the latest v2.6 drivers which are digitally signed by Microsoft) be bound to almost any (if not every) in game function.

My only complaint with it so far is that the analog pads are a bit close together, such that if you have the left one full right, and the right one full left, your thumbs might bump together, though the pads don't.

And, in case you were wondering, you can custom bind which axis goes to which analog pad. This means, you can bind the x axis to the left pad, and the y axis to the right pad. Which means you can drive the car like a remote controll RC car, one only steers left and right, the other only accelerates/brakes--even if the game (like C2) doesn't normally accept input from the R and RX axis (the right analog pad)! I set it this way and also have two buttons set for accelerateing/braking. Works great. laugh

The D-Pad works MUCH better than logitech's or interact's D-pads (Wingman action pad and AxisPad). From the reviews I've read, it's a great D-Pad. Speaking of reviews, here's a good one. Download the v2.6 drivers and ignore the driver complaints in the "cons" section at the end of the review, as it's referring to the outdated drivers.

The only complaints about this gamepad are the following: No vibration feedback (moot point at the price) and the analog pads are close enough to lead to thumb-bumping (though a rare to nonexistant problem for most games).

All things considered. I heartily recommend this gamepad. icon14.gificon14.gif

P.S. I cant comment on DOS game/emulator compatibility, but my guess is if these emulators can use USB joysticks, then they can probably use this one.

Logitech Wingman Extreme....the best period. Not the Wingman Rumble Pad but the original Wingman Extreme, very solid pad.

pmistry, are you refering to a joystick or a gamepad? If a gamepad, the problem with logitech's gamepads (excluding their new dual action pad) is that they do not have 4 shoulder buttons, lack analog joystick buttons and have horrible d-pad response. Their only trump card they had with gamepads was their very concave analog joysticks. Unfortunately, in correcting the first two wrongs with their latest, they've (appeared to) keep the existing crappy d-pad and abandoned the very concave joystick thumbpads.

I've used logitech gamepads before, and would be an avid fan if they included standard Playstation button configurations. While I do prefer logitechs concave thumpads over the n45's I still would suggest the n45 over the logitech equivalent--especially to the few who play street fighter type games for its vastly superior d-pad.

The one I have I think is discontinued now, but its really good and better than the Sidewinder Pad. I am referring to gamepads and not joysticks. As for Playstation type look thats just a preference. While it doesn't have 4 top buttons it does have 2 placed at comfortable spots, 6 trigger buttons, plus 3 extra buttons that can be used how you see fit. I believe it is a good pad if you can find it on Ebay or online in clearance.

I bought a Gameraider gamepad.

It has a very good D-Pad, USB support, eight buttons (with option to enable turbo in all of them), two front buttons, vibration mode, 2 free game CDs and was priced at Rs. 500($10/-). I would have liked to buy a Logitech gamepad but I was unable to get a demo from any of the vendors here.

I bought a Gameraider gamepad.

It has a very good D-Pad, USB support, eight buttons (with option to enable turbo in all of them), two front buttons, vibration mode, 2 free game CDs and was priced at Rs. 500($10/-). I would have liked to buy a Logitech gamepad but I was unable to get a demo from any of the vendors here. Also the BTW gamepad mentioned is unavailable here, and buying it from ebay was not possible due to steep shipping charges.