Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rbduck

Playing DVD's on TV?

I have a Creative DVD Rom, the EncoreDxr3 that goes with it and an SBlive value sound card. I have been playing movies on my projection TV.

The picture and sound quality has been wonderful.

I've read out on the net that the Hercules Fortissimo could play the DVD's in Dolby Digital. So, I bought one. It came with an array of software. What little information came with it explained that PowerDVD is to be used to play DVDs. My problem is I can't get the video to the TV. WIth PowerDVD, I can get the 5.1 soundtrack to the Stereo, but not the video, If I use the PC-DVD Player that came with the Creative DVD ROM, I can get the video to the TV, but not the sound.

If anybody has any ideas on this , please let me know

Thanks in advance!!!

Ruben

^^^^ could be - never heard that one, but also have no experience with it.

also, do u have the video options set into "video overlay" properly in your advance settings?

This is why I prefer an ATi graphics card for DVD playback on a computer. Just has the best DVD decoder out there as far as I'm concerned laugh This allows you to not have to use a secondary DVD decoder card which I think adds to the video noise level.

The nVidia chipsets are catching up however wink

Take look at REALmagic XCard in fact see shspvr.com for a review.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I currently have video from the dxr3 card and audio from the Hercules card. I've yet to get Dolby Digital though. The reason for my insistance of video from the DXR3 card is that video from my ATI Radion 7200 card is pretty bad. I have faith I'll get it to work, or I'll get another card.

Quote:
This is why I prefer an ATi graphics card for DVD playback on a computer. Just has the best DVD decoder out there as far as I'm concerned laugh This allows you to not have to use a secondary DVD decoder card which I think adds to the video noise level.

The nVidia chipsets are catching up however wink

actually from what i read, NVIDIA is currently using the best decoder out there on the market on their cards now.

But ATI still somehow ahs the Best video out and decoding.

the BAD part for ATI - is if u use and S-video cable to an RCA converter - u get stuck, most people, with a black and white picture.

ATI's cards eem very picky!!

Yes I prefer to use only S-Video to S-Video and separate L-R audio patch cables. This is the best option for the best output until a good optical output gets developed for graphics cards wink

Quote:
Yes I prefer to use only S-Video to S-Video and separate L-R audio patch cables. This is the best option for the best output until a good optical output gets developed for graphics cards wink

that is very true!

s-video is your best bets

the new RAC out is great

3 rca out for video and 2 for audio, supposedly better that s-video!! got it on my dvd player out to my tv

and once i gte my oher rig back up - i will have SPDIF (fibre optic) audio going into my 4.1 surround speaker (my Abit BH7 has the SPDIF in and out!
s
should be real good

Just FYI, i have 8500LE using svideo to rca adapter, and it runs marvelously.

I've got the picture from the 7200 pretty good now. Having a problem getting Dolby Digital from the Hercules Fortissimo III . But, that's another problem I can work through. I widh I could have got the video from the DXR3 card. Geez it was beautiful. I'm gettin it figured out a little at a time, but you guys have helped a lot. My biggest problwm is getting the time to play with it. I have to run the family into another room. That doesn't bode well.....have a god day!!! laugh