Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Linuxboy00

DVI or VGA?

Hey everybody, just had a quick question.

I am going to be running Windows XP sp1 as soon as I format my pc.

I've got a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 and it has DVI and VGA outputs.

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF. Now the monitor only does VGA ( it has a built in VGA cable ).

Quesiton is.. Would it look better if I would get a DVI to VGA adapter and use the DVI ouput on my video card or just stick with the VGA.

I mostly web surf, play some UT 2003 and web page authoring.

But if it would improve the visual quality I will get a converter.

Thanks for any suggestions,

: ME :

I don't think you'd see any improvement using a DVA to D-SUB converter, since you're doing what the graphics board is already doing to provide the signal to its D-SUB connector.

I'd imagine that you'd only see an improvement through DVI if you use a monitor with a DVI connector.

Rgds

AndyF

I guess you won't see any improvement. It's like asking if you would get a better image output on your TV if you plugged it with a S-Video to RCA connector.

The converter just keep the needed signal to your VGA monitor and throw away the unneeded info.

nope

no difference

the dvi adapter sinple takes the "digital" signal and converts it to analog for the VGA monitor

your monitor can not handle the DVI out put - otherwise they would just make VGA monitors with a DVI cable smile

only LCD's take advantage of DVI.

Quote:
I use both.

Only when using a LCD with DVI should it be used.

or when u have dual monitors, there is no harm in using both the VGA and DVI with VGA monitors.