Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

Which Archive program do you use?

Personally I like WinRAR because I download a lot more things that come in .RAR format than .zip format ( i do a lot of newsgroup downloading), I also like the way WinRAR works compared to WinZIP because Winzip you need external programs if you run into a non-recognized format.

So WinRAR for me because it supports:

.zip

.rar

.gz

.tar

.ISO

.CAB

.ACE

Ditto for me!

Winrar is the BEST archive program simply because it supports such a vast array of formats, + Full support for Zip, Rar and finally it can repair damaged archives (zip and rar)

I use winrar and winzip cos winrar can't read plain mail fromats .uue and winzip can. For everything else I use winrar

Quote:
I use winrar and winzip cos winrar can't read plain mail fromats .uue and winzip can. For everything else I use winrar

8) it can...

I do actually use bzip2, since it's free.
Winrar is good; heard also nice things about PowerArchiver.

Hi Gang,

For a commercial product I'd say WinRar for features and winzip for simplicity. However almost all the time I find myself using a wonderful free option 7-zip. It's the best compression algorithym out there right now it blows the doors off of everything else. Other programs support the 7z format however 7-Zip is the main freeware app. Check it out and see if you like it: www.7-zip.org. Also the best way to compress is to select files and folders and then use the shell context menu to add to 7-zip. When extracting double click on a file. Think of the interace as working with an FTP site on one pane you have the zip file and on the other you have the extraction destination so you copy files from the .7z to the extract point like you would uploading to an FTP site.

Cheers,

Christian

i find Winzip too confusing compared to winrar.

to make a new winzip archive - u right clic,, choose the files, choose the folder.

winrar - u right cick "add to archive" done.

laugh

and winzips wizard! god! even more confusing..lol

i have try powerarchiver but i use the last 1 year the winrar..

Hi Mr Guv,

I don't know when the last time you installed Winzip was, but both Winrar and WinZip are installed and it's not any more difficult to do it in Winzip vs. WinRar. Although WinZip does have more Context menu options which some might consider a good thing and of course others might not. In general though WinRar has quite a bit more options for just about everything which is both a feature and cumbersome. Alec I'm with you I've been using WinZip since 1993. What an investment 30 dollars that my dad and I split when I was about 14 or 15. Course that was in 1994 or 5 that we actually registered smile.

Cheers,

Christian

PowerArchiver does seem most impressive, and it supports nearly all the formats. But it doesn't support ISO, IMA, or HQX ones. For those, you need separate ones like WinISO or WinImage. I have yet to find a single utility that does everything, but PowerArchiver comes the closest.

Another program I know of is BitZipper: http://www.bitzipper.com/ but I think I am more partial to PowerArchiver, which seems to support more formats.