Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Monitor goes dark then returns, mouse cursor freezes afterwa

This isn't going to be easy to describe, but here goes;

I believe it is a thermal problem with the video card, but I'm not sure. After the box has been on for 30-60 minutes (or so) the monitor goes dark for a second then returns. This happens a few times and if it really gets bad (more frequent) the dark periods get longer that the monitor goes into standby mode then returns with the mouse cursor frozen that I have to reboot to get it back.

I know it's not the monitor, it's the video card not sending a signal to it and somehow also locking up the mouse (keyboard is ok).

This happened after installing S/W for a HP S20 photo scanner, BUT I don't think that is the problem because on my other bootable drive (in the same box) the problem is there but not as bad. It might be making it worse, but I don't think it is that easy. I'm also not sure it is the card itself, though it is the card that is not sending the video signal to the monitor.

Before I swap cards, anyone have any ideas? Here is the system:

Win 2k w/sp3

Epox 8RDA nForce 2 MB (latest bios and nForce 2 UDP)

AMD 2100b

2x256MB Corsair PC2700

Saphire ATI Radeon 9100 (latest ATI driver)

HP S20 scanner

Kodak DVC 325 camnera

Creative PC-Cam 600

SB Live value

Antec 330W Tru Power PSU

Device Manager ok

No viruses

I have pulled and reseated the video card, memory, processor (added a little more compond).

I have not overclocked anything.

No overheating apparent on processor or video card.

As I write this the system has been on for over 2 hours without a single incident (so far).

For how long have you experienced the problem?

Have you tried up[censored] your AGP drivers?

Especially on Via board this may be of great help.

If your card has always exhibited that problem, you may try to lower the speed of your AGP port, some card aren't able to work with AGP more than 1x or 2x.

I had an ATI Radeon 9000 and sometimes new drivers are just plain bad, try installing a previous revision of your drivers.

Peace and Prosperity :x

Problem just started, worked fine for 2-3 months.

It's a nForce 2 board

Latest driver from ATI

Try to remember, have you installed something special the day it occured?

If you can't remember, you could always go to

Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore

The restore points usually have a description under them, that might ring a bell.

You may also restore your computer to a date you remember it worked flawlessly. (Remember you can undo your restoration afterwards)

If that doesn't help try removing your ati card and run on the integrated nforce. That might also eliminate some possibilities. A problem on the nforce too would probably mean a general AGP failure.

At the last resort, you might flash your bios...

Does the problem occur randomly or only when you are trying to scan?

Are your mouse and scanner connected via the USB port?

I was thinking it could possibly be your power supply.

Most of the newer ATI graphics cards need a 300watt+ power supply.

Thrown in a couple of case fans, hard drives ect. and the power supply

can eaisly become overloaded.

Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps :x

As I stated I started to happen after I installed the HP scanner software.

The MB doesn't have integreated video, but I do ahve a spare card that I was trying to avoid using untill I was more sure it is the card.

It is a PS2 mouse.

Can't remember if 2k even has System Restore. I thought that was only ME and XP.

This is the 9100 (8500LE) card and a True Power Antec 330W supply.

It is the latest Epox bios.

Update.........now it started to do it on a cold start. System was off 16 hours.

To recap the problem;

The screen blanks (blacks) out for a second and returns with the mouse frozen for another second and all is fine. It repeats this two or more times but with no real pattern. If is keeps on doing it the cursor locks so I have to do a reboot to clear it up. Doesn't matter if the scanner software is running or not!

Update........

I swapped the video card and removed the scanner software including deleting enum registry entries that were left behind and the problem is still there.

Now.......is it the processor, MB, PSU or coruption left over from the software install of the HP scanner??

How about a KVM switch thrown into the mix???

How about a bad connection into/out of the switch?

That's what it looks like as of now. I wiggled (nothing was loose or not shoved in all the way) the plugs on the switch after I noticed the LED on the switch flickering when I lost the video to the monitor. (There is nothing connected to the other port other than the cable for another box as a conveinence feature.)

Really sucks since I thought it was the processor so I ordered a 1.7 XP for $49 from Newegg with the optional 1 yr warrenty (30 days standard). Guess I have a spare now................